PDA

View Full Version : Apex controller , questions from a newbies

machodik
11/09/2013, 06:22 PM
Dear All,

After some advises got from here and most specially from my good Buddy, I have decided to buy the apex controller and I choose the Lab grade, yes its the most expensive one, as I think the PH probe is more durable and considering the distance where i live, so to safe constantly replacing the probe so, I just took this one.

Anyway, I am really totally new with Apex, the main reason for me to buy a controller as I am going to set up a calcium reactor ( I also ordered thru my friend, the one that mostly recomend to me here , the aquarium plant co2 eletric carbon doser), so my questions about using APEX ,here are as follows;

"Should I have to buy an extra PH proble that I am going to put it into my calcium reactor inorder to comand my regulator if need to add or not any co2?"

hope to hear some advises from you guys!

By the way, this time is a big "renovation" with my tank, I am also going to change My metal Halides with 2 kessil A360W.

big spenditure indeed this time.

Cheers,

Mark Bianco
11/09/2013, 07:24 PM
I have an Apex and a calcium reactor. I put a probe in each the sump and the reactor and although interesting the use of a probe inside the reactor is for the most part worthless. What the ph in your reactor is not going to be the same as in your sump or tank. I use the ph reading or the sump probe to control / turn off the co2 to the reactor..

James77
11/09/2013, 07:29 PM
The pH probe in the reactor is a good way to catch a possible CO2 dump, but that is very unlikely with the aquarium plants regulator...they are rock solid. It couldn't hurt to have one on your tank as well....BRS selss very good ones for about $25. they also sell kessils ;)

machodik
11/10/2013, 02:03 AM
Thanks for your kind advises.

Ok, I will put both sump and reactor each with ph probe.

As of now, due my size tank, I only have 1 MP 40WES, now how could I play around with the MP 40WES with my apex controller? I saw in you tube that someone play his 2's MP 60 and program them with various mode. can I do this with only 1 MP 40WES in my Apex? what is your advises on this?

cheers,

James77
11/10/2013, 09:53 AM
The WXM module has 11 different and independent channels, so you could control 1-11 pumps :).

machodik
11/14/2013, 06:48 AM
The WXM module has 11 different and independent channels, so you could control 1-11 pumps :).

so the Apex I will be buying (Lab grade) does not include the WXM module? without this module, I can not hook up my MP40WES???

modder man
11/14/2013, 07:27 AM
that is correct the WXM module is a separate module, not included in the base kit

machodik
11/15/2013, 09:53 AM
so without WXM module, mY apex WILL BE useless to conroller MP 40WES?

biecacka
11/15/2013, 01:37 PM
The mp40wes has a controller on it until you buy the WXM. But the built in controller has good features on it too

Corey

ca1ore
11/15/2013, 01:54 PM
I have an Apex and a calcium reactor. I put a probe in each the sump and the reactor and although interesting the use of a probe inside the reactor is for the most part worthless. What the ph in your reactor is not going to be the same as in your sump or tank. I use the ph reading or the sump probe to control / turn off the co2 to the reactor..

I have actually found it quite helpful to use dual pH probes. I use one on the effluent side of my calcium reactor to keep the pH inside the unit in the 6.5 to 6.7 range, and the second in my sump to monitor overall tank pH. Should tank pH fall below 8.1, the CO2 supply to the reactor is turned off.

machodik
11/15/2013, 06:19 PM
I have actually found it quite helpful to use dual pH probes. I use one on the effluent side of my calcium reactor to keep the pH inside the unit in the 6.5 to 6.7 range, and the second in my sump to monitor overall tank pH. Should tank pH fall below 8.1, the CO2 supply to the reactor is turned off.

wow, this is cool, then it means I have double protection, one on the effluent of the reactor and another one on the tank. so it measn even the one in effluent probe shows the needs of the co2 but if the tank shows below the level say below 8.1 then the regulator will not push co2 then?

if so then this unit is cool!

machodik
11/15/2013, 06:21 PM
The mp40wes has a controller on it until you buy the WXM. But the built in controller has good features on it too

Corey

thanks Corey for this info.

machodik
11/15/2013, 06:30 PM
Dear All,

I can see that the Apex I am going to set up may only be running and controlling the following;

1) My main return pump and MP40wes during feeding time about twice a day.
2) My 2 kessil A360W (still wondering what it can do aside from being as a timer to turn it on and off in a day.
3) PH controller of my calcium reactor
4) temperature (but my aircon unit already has its temp probe to turn on and off of the unit it self)
5) my heater has also its own controller to controll the temperature and if when to initiate the heaters to be on.
6) I dont have Ozone, so ORP is useless here.
7) My single MP40WES already can be controll by itself base on some instruction setting on it.

so, In Summary, I feel that my Apex (Lab Grade) will only be useful or benefiting:
a) As PH controller of my calcium reactor
b) Serve as a timer of My kessil LED.

of the above, I feel my Apex is not really able to serve me well , perhaps I only have very minimal understanding of what else it can be done for me based on my present system.

Hope you guys keep enlighthened me and let me feels that its worth to this purchase of mine! what else I miss here?

Cheers,

nitr8
11/15/2013, 06:33 PM
The pH probe inside the CA reactor is, IMO, a must. As well as monitoring the pH of the tank. Targeting the reactor pH will help you make the most of your media. Too low and it turns to mush. Too high and it doesn't dissolve at all.

Setting up the MP40s is pretty easy but you will need a WXM module. Here are a few of my commands for one of my MP40s. Each one of the descriptions at the end of each line is a profile that needs to be set up as well.

nitr8
11/15/2013, 07:00 PM
Dear All,

I can see that the Apex I am going to set up may only be running and controlling the following;

1) My main return pump and MP40wes during feeding time about twice a day. The APEX can definitely handle this. Mine shuts off my return pump, skimmer and lowers my MP40s to 20% during the feed cycle.
2) My 2 kessil A360W (still wondering what it can do aside from being as a timer to turn it on and off in a day. This depends on the lighting fixture. Mine allows my LEDs to ramp up and down to simulate sun rise/set.
3) PH controller of my calcium reactor More monitor than control. The regulator will control the pH.
4) temperature (but my aircon unit already has its temp probe to turn on and off of the unit it self)
5) my heater has also its own controller to controll the temperature and if when to initiate the heaters to be on. Plug the heater controller into the APEX and set the outlet one degree different from the heater controller. Fail safe.
6) I dont have Ozone, so ORP is useless here. You can use the ORP port for the second pH probe
7) My single MP40WES already can be controll by itself base on some instruction setting on it. True, but you would have to manually change modes. The APEX will allow the pump to automatically switch modes as often as you like.

so, In Summary, I feel that my Apex (Lab Grade) will only be useful or benefiting:
-You have only scratched the surface my friend.

of the above, I feel my Apex is not really able to serve me well , perhaps I only have very minimal understanding of what else it can be done for me based on my present system.

Hope you guys keep enlighthened me and let me feels that its worth to this purchase of mine! what else I miss here?

Cheers

machodik
11/15/2013, 07:39 PM
The pH probe inside the CA reactor is, IMO, a must. As well as monitoring the pH of the tank. Targeting the reactor pH will help you make the most of your media. Too low and it turns to mush. Too high and it doesn't dissolve at all.

Setting up the MP40s is pretty easy but you will need a WXM module. Here are a few of my commands for one of my MP40s. Each one of the descriptions at the end of each line is a profile that needs to be set up as well.

Dear All,

1) My main return pump and MP40wes during feeding time about twice a day. The APEX can definitely handle this. Mine shuts off my return pump, skimmer and lowers my MP40s to 20% during the feed cycle.
2) My 2 kessil A360W (still wondering what it can do aside from being as a timer to turn it on and off in a day. This depends on the lighting fixture. Mine allows my LEDs to ramp up and down to simulate sun rise/set.
3) PH controller of my calcium reactor More monitor than control. The regulator will control the pH.
5) my heater has also its own controller to controll the temperature and if when to initiate the heaters to be on. Plug the heater controller into the APEX and set the outlet one degree different from the heater controller. Fail safe.
6) I dont have Ozone, so ORP is useless here. You can use the ORP port for the second pH probe
7) My single MP40WES already can be controll by itself base on some instruction setting on it. True, but you would have to manually change modes. The APEX will allow the pump to automatically switch modes as often as you like.

-You have only scratched the surface my friend.

Cheers

Thanks Nitr8,

As I only have 1 MP40WES, and I heard that WXM module is another $100, so I think having one of it as of the moment seems to be "not worth for me to set up one".

I wonder if Apex controlling the skimmer or pumps etc. will it be causing skimmer to running crazy again after re-initing it every time?

lastly, sorry, My English is very poor, can you elaborate this in a more lay man term:

"-You have only scratched the surface "

cheers,

biecacka
11/15/2013, 07:52 PM
only scratched the service means that the apex can do so much more. it can detect leaks and notify you via your smartphone and so much more. maybe hop on on neptunes site to see what else it can do

corey

machodik
11/16/2013, 12:41 AM
thanks and sorry again of my limited English

biecacka
11/16/2013, 11:28 AM
No need to be sorry man! :)
Good luck with your decision and keep us posted

Corey

FlyPenFly
11/16/2013, 04:04 PM
I'm pretty sure the Apex can setup lighting schedules with dimming on the A360. It lets you ramp up and down the intensity of the light.