PDA

View Full Version : removing scratches from glass

lwillis22
11/09/2013, 08:49 PM
I am looking at buying a used system but there is a large scratch on the front. Has anybody been successful at removing scratches? How did you do it? Any suggestions?

Posted from ReefCentral.com App for Android

Joe0813
11/09/2013, 09:32 PM
there was just a few threads on this.... search and it should come up. but from what i remember about the thread is if you can run your finger nail over the scratch and you can feel it then its a lost cause. I would not recommend buying it

albano
11/09/2013, 10:15 PM
there was just a few threads on this.... search and it should come up. but from what i remember about the thread is if you can run your finger nail over the scratch and you can feel it then its a lost cause. I would not recommend buying it

+1, I just sold a 300DD starphire tank for almost NOTHING, because the scratches/etching on the glass could not be repaired !

lwillis22
11/10/2013, 09:36 AM
well I'm glad I asked. This is not a cheap tank so don't want to buy and not be able to get the scratches out.

shaginwagon13
11/10/2013, 09:43 AM
With glass, if you can feel the scratch with your finger nail 99.9% of the time it's to deep to remove by buffing.

I would stay away if the scratches are a visual issue. Chances are they won't be going away with buffing.

lwillis22
11/10/2013, 02:57 PM
what about a glass repair shop? wondering if they could help?

shaginwagon13
11/10/2013, 03:27 PM

In all honesty, if possible it would most likely cost you as much as it would cost for a brand new tank.

IMO I would wait for another tank to come along or buy a new one.

lwillis22
11/10/2013, 03:52 PM
this tank is an oceanic with wood grain trim. I can not seem to find where to buy these at.

albano
11/10/2013, 04:47 PM

I had 2 different glass shops look at mine, tried acid, compounds, buffing, sanding... FORGET IT... It's now a sump!

shaginwagon13
11/10/2013, 05:14 PM
this tank is an oceanic with wood grain trim. I can not seem to find where to buy these at.

Unless it was a custom tank built into millwork by a carpenter you can find it very easily.

Call oceanic directly and ask them. I am 100% positive you can buy one of their tanks with either brown or black wood trim, stand and canopy as one of my LFS orders these on a very regular basis.

I am not sure on your budget, but in my opinion, the mass produced wooden stands and canopies that are produced like companies such as Oceanic are not worth the money. I would say order the tank from them if you are happy with their quality and design, and get a carpenter to finish the stand and canopy. It will cost you roughly the same if you purchase the wood you want, and you will get a far superior quality finish.

That's my .02 cents.

Also, i just did a quick search on google for oceanic tanks and found many that resemble the description you described.... call them, they are most common than you think and you will not be happy with a tank that has all those scratches.

http://images1.americanlisted.com/nlarge/aquarium_210gal_oceanic_glass_800_las_vegas_10811105.jpg

shaginwagon13
11/10/2013, 05:14 PM
i had 2 different glass shops look at mine, tried acid, compounds, buffing, sanding... Forget it... It's now a sump!

+1

lwillis22
11/10/2013, 05:35 PM
you are right. I'm glad you talked some sense into me.

shaginwagon13
11/10/2013, 05:52 PM
Its no problem. Its just that everyone that has had scratches on a tank knows how ridiculously annoying they are. Even if they are not very large, you will notice them especially when algae gets inside them as cleaning scratched glass or acrylic are very difficult to clean as nothing really fits into the scratch.

Trust me, even if a new tank is slightly more money, in the long run, it wont mean a thing. You have a sufficient number of posts to view the classified section, start searching the classifieds for used tanks. They posted for sale here all the time and they often are very reasonably priced and sometimes even come with pumps, LR, lights, etc.

Joe0813
11/10/2013, 07:34 PM
my 75 had a scratch in the front.... it was so annoying. and the scratch was not even that deep either