PDA

View Full Version : Tank mates for snowflake eel?

Turningdoc
11/10/2013, 07:52 AM
Looking for advice from eel keepers out there. I would love to keep one in a 400 gal reef setup, but am reading conflicting views on compact abilities. Think reef w possibly tangs, puffer, and/or look downs. Also, does anyone keep any type of invert w them or are they pretty much eaters of everything?

Cu455
11/10/2013, 08:11 AM
I have 2 of them. One is about 7 inches still small and one is almost 4 feet, he is at my parents house now. Both lived with shrimp, crabs, snails, clownfish and firefish. They never bothered anyone. If anything is at risk with the eel it will be shrimp. So if you like your shrimp I wouldn't risk it even if it could work.

You should also look into a chainlink eel. I just got a chainlink and I kind of like him more then my snowflakes. He is more active and eats pellets. He also doesn't mess with anyone.

Meanmike
11/10/2013, 08:15 AM
I have 2 of them. One is about 7 inches still small and one is almost 4 feet, he is at my parents house now. Both lived with shrimp, crabs, snails, clownfish and firefish. They never bothered anyone. If anything is at risk with the eel it will be shrimp. So if you like your shrimp I wouldn't risk it even if it could work.

You should also look into a chainlink eel. I just got a chainlink and I kind of like him more then my snowflakes. He is more active and eats pellets. He also doesn't mess with anyone.

You have a four foot snowflake eel? I thought they only grew to about two feet long. Any pics?

Cu455
11/10/2013, 04:13 PM
XwYCEx-oN38

Turningdoc
11/10/2013, 04:28 PM
Cool. Love the red rocks. Does everyone allow eels just to house in rocks or do you build PVC tunnels?

danimallaminad
11/10/2013, 04:46 PM
and eats pellets
WOW, i have a chainlink too, You gotta let me in on the secret to get him to eat pellets haha.
My chainlink is in a 125 gallon reef and has eaten about 3-4 fish, mostly firefish and one purple dottyback. He ate some peppermint shrimp but not my skunk cleaner shrimp. In fact the cleaner shrimp and the eel share a rock together with my anemone and clownfish. Ive seen my coral beauty actually slap the eel in the face with his tail, almost like shooing him away.

Meanmike
11/10/2013, 05:11 PM
XwYCEx-oN38

Wow! It's definitely bigger than I thought they got. It doesn't quite look four foot though. What size tank?

Would be crazy to wake up to that monster in your bed.

Turningdoc
11/11/2013, 05:33 AM
Anyone w ghost eel?

anbosu
11/11/2013, 12:59 PM
Wow! It's definitely bigger than I thought they got. It doesn't quite look four foot though. What size tank?

Would be crazy to wake up to that monster in your bed.

I think they get about 3' max - that one looks about the size of my last one that I lost, which is in the 2' range. When they get to 3' or so they are about as big around as a red bull can - they get very girthy.

anbosu
11/11/2013, 01:01 PM
Anyone w ghost eel?

A zebra or skeletor eel would probably be a better fit for a community reef tank. Snowflakes get progressively more aggressive as they get bigger. Mine have always been voracious predators of any clam, shrimp, or crab they were kept with.

Cu455
11/11/2013, 03:05 PM
I used a meter stick to measure him and he was slightly larger then that a few years ago. He is about 8 years old. He his now at my parents house. Next time I go I will try and measure him.

The tank is a 55 gallon, 4 feet long. That video should be proof that a 55 gallon tank is not suitable for a snowflake for life. He is now in a 400 gallon and he is much more active and a little more lean.