PDA

View Full Version : Vinegar dosing sanity check

xtlosx
11/10/2013, 08:50 AM
Hey everyone.. So I've made a decision to start dosing vinegar in my 150G tank.. I am fighting a losing battle to phosphates at this point since stirring up a cycle 2-3 months ago. I can't keep SPS, although my LPS and Giganteas are as healthy as could be. My chaeto in the fuge often times get coated in cyano, it's frustrating.. What's amazing is I have coraline over everything, except for most of the rock. So I'm looking for a sanity check before I start and advice from the group.

I'm going to vinegar dose as I have read there are less of a chance to develop cyano as a result of the dosing. I'm going to follow the chart for Vinegar and dose directly into my fuge, which dumps into my return and into the tank. I will remove the bags of chemipure-elite I have in the tank right now as I have read to start from nothing and add GAC & GFO if I don't observe anything funky.

Do I need to use a dosing pump or can I just do it manually every single day? I realize long term if I continue to dose I will get a dosing pump, but for the time being will it work manually?

As well, i have read some people carbon dose to get the situation under control then stop when the problem is under control. Is this a viable solution, or do most people just continue to carbon dose but at the maintenance level?

I should probably ask as well, but my prize pieces in this tank are my S. Giganteas, and while I have seen people carbon dose with various anemones, just wanted to make sure there shouldn't be any issues with healthy specimens. Just trying to check all of my bases here.

Thanks for the sanity check, and please feel free to let me know if I have missed anything. I dosed vodka in my old 60G cube initially then stopped and never had a nutrient issue, so hoping to get the same result here.

bertoni
11/10/2013, 03:00 PM
Dosing it manually should be fine. I don't know what the various levels are in the tank, but carbon dosing might become nitrogen-limited. How high is the phosphate level now?