PDA

View Full Version : Why age newly mixed saltwater?

RCKY
11/10/2013, 06:04 PM
I see people mention that you should mix your salt water and then let it stand a few days before using it.
Why is this?

Saltydrip
11/10/2013, 06:10 PM
It makes sure all the salt and minerals are dissolved into the water do that when you test it's all accurate. It might look like everything is dissolved but that's not always the case. Letting it stand for a few days insures it's properly dissolved and evenly dispersed threw the whole volume of water and will not cause any problems when adding it to the system.

phillrodrigo
11/10/2013, 06:12 PM
Ive seen a test done to this and it doesnt really matter to a point. It does need to mix for a few hours overnight is best. No changes happened after 2 hours I believe ph was stable. Some salts like red sea coral pro have to be used within 4 hours

cakemanPA
11/10/2013, 06:15 PM
ESV Bionic can be used immediately.

Saltydrip
11/10/2013, 06:16 PM
I should add that I only let mine sit a few hours. Usually mix it sat morning and change water in afternoon.

Sethjamto
11/10/2013, 06:43 PM
I typically let mine mix 12-24 hours before using, but that's mainly to make sure the temp is where I need it.

RCKY
11/10/2013, 06:58 PM
Thanks everyone.
I can usually let it stand a few days but I have had "emergencies" where I wanted to change the water quickly.

D-Nak
11/10/2013, 11:35 PM
Read the mixing instructions for your salt. The mixing and use time varies from brand to brand. Some actually say to use it as soon as the water is clear. I use aquavitro salinity and the FAQ actually says to use the water as soon as it's clear to avoid a drop in alk and pH.

jdaniels175
11/11/2013, 08:27 AM
i don't mix more than 10 mins, and add directly without adjusting the temp. Don't think it makes any difference in real life. I tested the temp change with a digital thermometer while adding 5gal cool saltwater to my 50B, and it made basically 0 impact. But this is on my tank, I don't know how it would effect yours.

mfinn
11/11/2013, 10:05 AM
I usually mix the water and salt early on Sunday mornings and do the water change in the afternoon.

Beefy_Reefy
11/12/2013, 02:42 PM
Ive seen a test done to this and it doesnt really matter to a point. It does need to mix for a few hours overnight is best. No changes happened after 2 hours I believe ph was stable. Some salts like red sea coral pro have to be used within 4 hours

100% wrong about Red Sea Coral Pro. Why would it have to be used within 4 hours? Makes no sense.. I can mix it for days, even a week and it's perfectly fine.

Reef Frog
11/12/2013, 03:28 PM
Reefy

I too can keep it for days & weeks if needed. But for some calcium deposits will form on the side of the container under certain conditions, as it is a high Ca & Alk formulation.

Ptyochromis
11/12/2013, 04:15 PM
Test the pH after you first mix your water. The pH is often sky high.

Not true about RS CP. The directions used to say mix for 4 hours before use. They now say you can use it immediately. I have to let my salt sit for 2 days minimum before I can use it (I wait for it to become clear and the pH to go down to 8.4).
I never see any precipitate collecting on the jug with RS CP.

D-Nak
11/12/2013, 04:29 PM
I think everyone's experience will vary, so let's just make sure we test our water parameters periodically to make sure it's usable either immediately or after "aging" for an extended period of time.

For me, I can use the same water both days, I just need to set my expectations. If I uses immediately, my pH may be higher, as will Alk and CA. If I let it sit, it's definitely still usable, I just need to adjust the parameters to my liking.

I've started "cutting" my aquavitro with normal IO, to cut costs and also to help with the clouding of the aquavitro. As I mentioned, aquavitro can supposedly be used immediately, but according to the IO site, it says "Always allow newly mixed salt water to circulate with a powerhead or airstone at least overnight before use." We'll see how it goes.

D-Nak
11/12/2013, 04:33 PM
On a side note, I also think the "use immediately" approach is a way to protect companies who boast that their salt meets or exceeds certain parameters. Some people may not be able to use the water immediately because something is out of whack such as pH (let's say the RO/DI water used has a high pH -- mine does) but all other parameters meet the manufacturers claims. Now people can't complain that the company has false advertising.

Timfish
11/12/2013, 05:15 PM
I all my years of keeping saltwater (I'm not saying how many that is :) ) I've never bothered to let new saltwater age. If you want to fine but I certainly wouldn't hesitate to do a 30% - 50% water change with new saltwater.

phillrodrigo
11/12/2013, 06:22 PM
100% wrong about Red Sea Coral Pro. Why would it have to be used within 4 hours? Makes no sense.. I can mix it for days, even a week and it's perfectly fine.

I dont have the mixing instructions anymore but heres another person saying the same thing on this forum

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2343082

phillrodrigo
11/12/2013, 06:24 PM
So before you say 100% wrong I would atleasy do the research

evolutionZ
11/12/2013, 06:55 PM
For the past one year of reef keeping. I do 10% wc weekly with RSCP salt. Dump salt in bucket and a 2000l/hr pump aerates the salt for about 30mins and I use it immediately. (I don't need to heat my water because I come from a tropical country)

I've tested both newly mixed. And water that is areated overnight and it turns out all parameters are totally the same. No point in aging.

Beefy_Reefy
11/12/2013, 11:57 PM
So before you say 100% wrong I would atleasy do the research

Just pointing out what you said about NEEDING to use RSCP within 4 hours is not true. No where does it say that. No way that is true is all.

It's one of the most popular salts in the hobby and tests just fine after a week of mixing. I usually use it after a day but have gone a week with same test results. Soooo.

StaySalty
11/13/2013, 02:04 AM
Just pointing out what you said about NEEDING to use RSCP within 4 hours is not true. No where does it say that. No way that is true is all.

It's one of the most popular salts in the hobby and tests just fine after a week of mixing. I usually use it after a day but have gone a week with same test results. Soooo.

I just started using RSCP(switched from reef crystals) and I was pretty shocked when I saw that in the instruction manual. I don't think they said exactly, "it has to be used within 4 hours" but I do remember reading something like, "mix for 2 hours, no more than 4"...I forgot the reasoning why. But I do about 10-15 gallon water changes and the water is still way too cloudy to where im cofortable putting it in the tank so I let go for a day.

Ptyochromis
11/13/2013, 02:16 AM
I just started using RSCP(switched from reef crystals) and I was pretty shocked when I saw that in the instruction manual. I don't think they said exactly, "it has to be used within 4 hours" but I do remember reading something like, "mix for 2 hours, no more than 4"...I forgot the reasoning why. But I do about 10-15 gallon water changes and the water is still way too cloudy to where im cofortable putting it in the tank so I let go for a day.

I lost ~80% of my corals by putting RSCP in after only 6 hours. It took 3 days for the tank to become clear. The pH spiked So err on the side of caution, longer is better especially if your RO isn't the recommended 68f.
I now mix up new salt right after a water change so i'm ready for next weeks change.

Overall I like the salt, at least RSCP doesn't burn my hands like RC does lol.

StaySalty
11/14/2013, 08:37 PM
I lost ~80% of my corals by putting RSCP in after only 6 hours. It took 3 days for the tank to become clear. The pH spiked So err on the side of caution, longer is better especially if your RO isn't the recommended 68f.
I now mix up new salt right after a water change so i'm ready for next weeks change.

Wow 3 days of cloudiness? That's like you put in a new sand bed or something. How much water were you changing?

I can't say yet weather or not it's better than the reef crystals I was using. I was pretty happy with it until I started seeing salinity variation with the last couple of boxes of salt I had.

D-Nak
11/14/2013, 08:56 PM

I actually think the takeaway here is to ALWAYS check the pH of your salt water after mixing. The pH can vary depending on the source water, and it can vary from season to season. Most salt mixes contain some sort of buffer, but this can also cause problems since it shoot pH sky high.

You can get a handheld pH meter from Amazon that's relatively cheap (about the same price as a nice piece of SPS) and doesn't need to be calibrated nearly as much as probes on a controller. I use mine to periodically check my tanks as well, which helps to determine if my probe on my controller needs to be re-calibrated. It's a good investment that could possibly save your tank.

Reef264
11/14/2013, 10:09 PM
For what it is worth, Ill add my 2 cents.

There is a LFS, I won't mention who, that does water changes like I have never seen before.They literally do this.They take the desired amount if water out of the system, pour salt directly into the sumps, and then pour RO/DI water in and just let the system mix it.They do this on their sumpless tanks as well.Somehow...they manage to keep healthy specimens and pretty cool display tanks using this method.I about tripped over myself when I saw this happen.
(Kids, don't try this at home)

So given what I just said, I use ESV B-Ionic, and it's pretty quick and simple where mixing is concerned.1 hour and you are good.

-Ray

Caurimare
11/14/2013, 11:00 PM
Check out this video from Red Sea
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=UlIHJ02NaKk

Boston21
11/15/2013, 12:53 AM
I'v always heard to let it sit atleast a full day. When I first started I would just shake 2.5g containers to mix a few times a week.... didnt work. Now use a powerhead and let it run 1 hr or so a day for about a week in a 5g bucket. So my water sits usually 5-7 days before its used.

GroktheCube
11/15/2013, 09:10 AM
I use b ionic for my tank, and sometimes IO for QT. I fill my mixing tank with RO, turn on my heater snd mixing pump, and wait for it to reach desired temp. After it has, I add the salt, and do the WC about 15 minutes after the second b ionic liquid part is added. In the case of IO, I often mix it right in the QT tank. I usually do so about 24 hours before I expect to use the tank, to make sure it is clear by then.

Ted_C
11/15/2013, 09:26 AM
question on the ESV - is it detrimental to allow it to sit for 24 hours (with good aeration) before applying to your tank?

Ptyochromis
11/15/2013, 10:30 PM
Wow 3 days of cloudiness? That's like you put in a new sand bed or something. How much water were you changing?

I can't say yet weather or not it's better than the reef crystals I was using. I was pretty happy with it until I started seeing salinity variation with the last couple of boxes of salt I had.

I did a ~25%. I found a dead sea hare in my tank so I decided to play it safe and do a change. My royal urchin dropped all his spines + RTN on all my SPS. The only sps that made it was an encrusting monty, a digitata, and about 5 polyps on a capricornis, the urchin also pulled through.

I still like it better than RC. RC when it's dry burns my skin like no other. RSCP has Ca and KH levels closer to where I keep my tank.
But I agree, it's not the most consistent salt; there is a lot of settling of the mix. If only there was a good way to stir the mix. I did a KH test on the bucket that killed my tank and it came in at 16 dkh:hmm3:

madweazl
11/16/2013, 07:36 AM

You didnt lose your corals because you used it after only 6 hours. I've been using this salt for 10+ years, never mix it over 30 mins, and never worry about the temp range of the water (typically 70-75). I've never lost a single item that could be attributed to this. I guarantee you had another issue that resulted in the loss but if it makes you feel better, blame the salt.

I've never let any salt stand for more than an hour in 25 years in the hobby and have never had adverse effects from a water change. Your results may vary...

For the record, Red Sea recommends not mixing the salt for more than 4 hours but states nothing regarding storage other than checking the salinity and making sure the pH has stabilized (whatever that means).