PDA

View Full Version : Which method should I treat my sick fish?

falconut
11/11/2013, 07:09 AM
Over the last month all of my fish have gotten, what I believe is ich. It started with a BF that had a few spots, then the others started to get them. Now they look dusted and have frayed fins. They all were eating prior to removing them.

Saturday night I was able to get them all out of the display tank, not easy. They are now split up in two QT tanks. I started to lower the salinity from 1.026 in both yesterday. One is now at 1.019 and the other is 1.021. I figured I'd finish lowering to 1.009 tonight. But then I started reading that cupramine is better.

Should I leave the levels were they are and use cupramine instead or continue lowering and do the hypo? Looking for advice. What do you think?

If cupramine, do I just need the cupramine and a copper test kit?

Palting
11/11/2013, 07:27 AM
Cupramine is better if you are worried about velvet as well. For straight forward treatment of Ich, IMO hyposalinity is less stressful and better. Here's my trhread on hyposalinity on 11 fish from 3 years ago: http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1892446 . It worked. Since then, my tank has been Ich free.

If you want to do copper instead, you'll need to raise your salinity back up first, no more than .oo2 each day. Then yes, you'll need a copper test kit to be sure you have the right levels.

falconut
11/11/2013, 09:05 AM
Another thing related to this, I have a salinity refractometer, not a sw refractometer. I'm reading that I should lower the salinity to 16ppt or 1.009, but on my refractometer they don't match. Should I lower until my meter reads 1.009 or 16ppt?

scottwhitson
11/11/2013, 11:00 AM
I would suggest reading about the "tank transfer" method if you are certain it is Ich. It has been suggested that there is hypo resistant Ich. Also the "tank transfer" method cures them very quick if it is Ich.

Palting
11/11/2013, 11:10 AM
Another thing related to this, I have a salinity refractometer, not a sw refractometer. I'm reading that I should lower the salinity to 16ppt or 1.009, but on my refractometer they don't match. Should I lower until my meter reads 1.009 or 16ppt?

1.009, and confirm that this is a properly calibrated refractometer and not a swing arm hydrometer. If your salinity goes above 1.010, you have to start all over.

Two things I want to emphasize.
1. Your salinity will rise due to evaporation. Make sure to top off frequently
2. Avoid cross contamination between QT and DT. Use two sets of equipment. If not able to do so, rinse everything thoroughly, including your arms, if you go from one tank to the other.

HTH!!

falconut
11/11/2013, 11:32 AM
My fish aren't loosing the spots anymore and it's been a week at least, so I'm not sure if the transfer method would work at this time.

Yes, I have a calibrated refractometer. I wonder if I should calibrate it to RO water 1.000, since that's closer to the 1.009, then my 1.026 calibration fluid. I guess I should get the salinity down to 1.008, so a little evaporation will only make it 1.009.

I'll definitely top off at least every night, hopefully more if I can. I have all three tanks (DT, QT1 & QT2) all running separately. I'll have to remember the arm washing between tanks.

falconut
11/11/2013, 02:04 PM
Palting - thanks for sharing the link to your experience with hypo.

Palting
11/11/2013, 03:07 PM
You're welcome. That's why I started the thread in the first place, to share with others who want to do hypo.

falconut
11/11/2013, 09:55 PM
One QT is down to 1.008 and the others at 1.018. I'll have to finish tomorrow night, I ran out of RO water. Didn't realize it was gonna take so much RO to drop it. I've been removing 2 gallons at a time. Took like 3 hours to go from 1.019 to 1.008.

My Ph was at 7.8 and the fish seemed fine, so I just left it.

oscarinw
11/11/2013, 09:58 PM
From 1.019 to 1.008 in 4 hours seems a bit quick to me.

falconut
11/12/2013, 06:20 AM
From 1.019 to 1.008 in 4 hours seems a bit quick to me.

From what I've read, the fish tolerate the lowering fairly easy, it's the raising that's got to be done slowly, like over the course of a week. I monitored the pH during the lowering and it stayed at 7.8. None of the fish were showing any signs of stress.