PDA

View Full Version : Sponge Help!!!!


Cozwey
11/11/2013, 06:30 PM
I have some growth and what appears to be blisters on my sponge. I have been doing some reading and it could be dying. If so I have read it could be toxic. The issue is partly because what the LFS told me it was called doesn't come up on Google so I cannot be certain.:confused::confused::confused:

I could really use some guidance.

oscarinw
11/11/2013, 09:52 PM
All I can offer on sponges is that they cannot be exposed to air. Was it recently introduced?

Cozwey
11/12/2013, 08:01 AM
It has been in my tanks for 4 months now. It was never exposed to air. I was told it was a Bee sponge but that didn't provide any info. It kind of looks like a tree sponge but I cannot be sure. I have read I could cut off the black part, but would likely lose the whole thing. I also read that if it is dying I should remove it as they can be toxic depending on the type.

Cozwey
11/12/2013, 05:11 PM
I am still hoping for some type of help please. I am concerned i may have an issue here.

Timfish
11/12/2013, 05:25 PM
My guess is it's getting an algae or cyano starting to grow in it. Over the years I've had lots of sponges die and I've never anything appear to be affected by it. I've also not had a problem with short term exposure to air with the more commonly available species but there certainly some that may be sensitive (I've had Tethys spp. actually crawl up to the water line where they were exposed to air for 10 - 20 minutes whenever a water change was done). In my experience most sponges are in the process of dying once they get algae growing in their skeleton. You are probably better off tossing it.

Cozwey
11/12/2013, 05:28 PM
That is my thought as well.

vitz
11/12/2013, 06:33 PM
sponges need huge amounts of flow,and food