PDA

View Full Version : well water

pdfrogman
11/12/2013, 02:27 PM
I have well water and i am blowing through DI resin like no tomorrow

I know it is high C02 is there any filter or cartridge that will off gas the C02 don't have room for vats to circulate the water before the DI cartridge?

Buckeye Hydro
11/12/2013, 02:53 PM
You don't really need a vat - you could essentially make a tower out of 4" or 6" pvc - would that work for you?

Russ

speedo2wet
11/12/2013, 02:59 PM
You don't really need a vat - you could essentially make a tower out of 4" or 6" pvc - would that work for you?

Russ

I have the same issue being on well water and of course it causes lower pH in the aquarium. Can you expand on the "Vat"? I totally know what you mean by blowing through all the DI resign.

Buckeye Hydro
11/12/2013, 03:33 PM
Well - you can route your RO water to something like a brute trash can, and then aerate that with a pump/airstone, and then send this degassed water to your DI stage.

But the point I was making above was than the container doesn't have to be something big like a 30 gallon barrel - it can just be a narrow tower type container.

Russ

speedo2wet
11/12/2013, 08:14 PM
I've looked at that same situation and can't figure out how it would be feasible to make water when I need it. It's a balance between just buying more DI and the trouble of off gassing. My only major concern is the pH once it hits the tank. Since the water is to contain a higher CO2, you would think the salt mix would correct the pH but always seems that my tanks run 7.6-7.8. Maybe it's not the water but the room and the house. I'm still figuring that one out.

It's almost as if we should bubble pure oxygen into the water prior to adding the salt to degaussing the full amount.

Thanks for the input. Greatly appreciated.

Buckeye Hydro
11/13/2013, 04:11 AM
The pH of DI water should generally be ignored. Its really meaningless as the water has no buffers - it will assume the pH of whatever it is added to.

Sounds like you might need additional fresh air in the house.

Do you have a protein skimmer? If so, you could use our CO2 Arrestor on the skimmer air intake.

Russ

pdfrogman
11/14/2013, 10:05 AM
I am interested in the PVC idea can you elaborate?
I have a 10 gallon acrylic tank that I use for top off on my tank but that water is gravity fed into my tank was thinking of putting a power head or air stone in that and the DI cartridge between the 2 tanks

would gravity alone be enough to push through the DI resin?

Buckeye Hydro
11/24/2013, 09:39 AM
Just make a "vertical tank" out of PVC - with an airstone in the bottom and the RO water dribbling in from the top.