PDA

View Full Version : Which test kits do I need?

traderdan
11/12/2013, 07:03 PM
I have a nanocube coming in next week. I need to order test kits but I'm not sure which ones. Can someone please tell me what I need to test for and most accurate brands? Thanks everyone

oscarinw
11/12/2013, 07:33 PM
The API saltwater master kit is pretty comprehensive. Ammonia, Nitrite are the fundamental ones and then Nitrate and Phosphate for the long term. If planing on corals then you will need the Calcium, Alkalinity and Magnesium down the line

Cozwey
11/12/2013, 07:41 PM
The API saltwater master kit is pretty comprehensive. Ammonia, Nitrite are the fundamental ones and then Nitrate and Phosphate for the long term. If planing on corals then you will need the Calcium, Alkalinity and Magnesium down the line

+1 great advice. Ph is also something to check as well.

As for type of kits, I am NOT an API fan. They are ok for starting however I found the kit I used gave me zero reading show that I never had a cycle and when I switch to another brand I had NO3 and NH3.
I have switched to Hanna checkers for alk and PO4 and Salifert for the rest.
I like Salifert because it is less guessing colours. Even Nitrates with using colours is easier.
They cost more at the LFS but BRS has them for a decent price.

traderdan
11/12/2013, 08:37 PM
Thanks for all the input. Will be doing some online shopping tonight.

SGT_York
11/13/2013, 12:03 AM
API is good for fish only, not in the range we need for corals. phosphate goes from 0 to .25, .5, 1, 2, 5, 10, at .3 coral growth is stunted there is minimal visual difference from 0.0 to .25 in the API test. The salifert goes from 0 to .03, .1, .25 up to 3. far more accurate of a test. For fish only the API will serve you great.

st0ned0g
11/13/2013, 02:04 AM
Brs?

Cozwey
11/13/2013, 06:49 PM
Bulk Reef Supply

cloak
11/13/2013, 07:29 PM
Usually your LFS will test things like pH, ammonia, nitrite, & nitrate for free. No need to buy those test kits IMO. The ones you should have on hand at all times are alkalinity, calcium, & magnesium.

Salifert test kits seem to be pretty popular btw.

http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2004-05/rhf/index.htm

ER95
11/13/2013, 08:40 PM
The API Saltwater Master Test Kit.

Peter Eichler
11/13/2013, 10:48 PM
API is good for fish only, not in the range we need for corals. phosphate goes from 0 to .25, .5, 1, 2, 5, 10, at .3 coral growth is stunted there is minimal visual difference from 0.0 to .25 in the API test. The salifert goes from 0 to .03, .1, .25 up to 3. far more accurate of a test. For fish only the API will serve you great.

Nonsense, API is just fine for things like nitrate, ammonia, alkalinity calcium and reef tanks. If you want low range exactness with nitrate then another kit besides API is a good choice, but most people don't need that.

Also, for those that are suggesting a nitrite test kit, it's basially a worthless test for salttwater except for many once or twice just to see how your cycle is progressing. PH kits are mostly useless as well... You really need a calibrated prove and meter or controller or to not bother testing.

For PO4, Salifert is just about as worthless as the API kit. Either don't bother or just go with a Hanna meter for this one in my opinion.

Salifert is nice for magnesium which is also a useful test.