PDA

View Full Version : skimmer float switch

petere1989
11/13/2013, 09:22 PM
i was wondering if somebody can post pictures and maybe give a little insight on setting up my skimmer cup with a float switch so if it gets to a point it will shut off? I'm going to be traveling in a month and want to set up float switches to do different things when i'm gone. I will be using the Apex and the Breakout Box. not really sure the best way to do it. I have a bubble magus skimmer.

txaggie09
11/13/2013, 10:20 PM
I just drilled my skimmer lid and put a float switch in. I keep a weight on my skimmer lid for some back pressure. If something were to happen and overflow the skimmer it would hit that switch and kill the skimmer pump.
Not sure if thats what youre looking for but hope it helps.

If switch open: nothing happens, closed: pump is off.

petere1989
11/16/2013, 09:57 AM
I just drilled my skimmer lid and put a float switch in. I keep a weight on my skimmer lid for some back pressure. If something were to happen and overflow the skimmer it would hit that switch and kill the skimmer pump.
Not sure if thats what youre looking for but hope it helps.

If switch open: nothing happens, closed: pump is off.

ya thats exactly what i'm looking for. Im not sure if i'm going to do this or not. I did get a breakout box and float switch for my auto top off. I am going to set it up so if the water is low it will send me a text to refill. Basically when i am out of town i can then call the person taking care of the tank and tell her that it needs water. I'm sorta waiting for apex fusion to release because i don't have the port forwarding stuff set up and why waste the time doing it when in a few weeks we won't need it.

Allentown
11/16/2013, 10:22 AM
I have found that mine will go 4-5 days before overflowing back into the sump. I'm feeling cheap. Thought about directing the drain line to a piece of Tupperware setting the Tupperware on a cafeteria tray and placing a $29.00 apex leak detector in the tray with a command to kill the skimmer if it detects moisture on the tray.