PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone here tried the Bubble Mangus Curve skimmers yet?

evsalty
11/14/2013, 02:27 AM
Like the title says I am wondering if any one on here has tried the Bubble Mangus Curve skimmers yet? I am going bigger on both my current tanks that are plumbed together and will be maxing out my current skimmer if not going a bit bigger than it is suggested to be used for.

The current skimmer is a SWC-120 and I have had great results with it for the past two years. No issues at all, just keeps going and going. When I bought it Bubble Mangus only had the NAC line out for cone skimmer options and the SWC's seemed to have a tad bit easier tuning so I went with the SWC. Looking at upgrading to a larger skimmer I thought about looking at what is out now and came across the Curve line from BM. They seem to have the similar adjustment to the SWC's now and seem to be an improvement over the NAC line if I am looking at them correctly.

So have any of you tried them out yet or atleast looked into them?

evsalty
11/14/2013, 02:41 PM
It's daytime maybe the daytime crowd has some input.

phxreefer
11/17/2013, 09:04 AM
I have the curve9 and I think it is a great skimmer. It is a bit loud though but has gotten better since new.This skimmer pulls out some amazing gunt, better than anything I have ever owned. The tank is 125g total volume is ~150g, 2medium tangs and 6 other smaller(3") fish. The rest of the tank is SPS doninant with some LPS. I replaced a BM NAC7 with the Curve9 and this skimmer has impressed me. I will be getting another one for my new 220 build.

Bpb
11/17/2013, 11:01 AM
Curve 5 user on 55 gallon tank. Love it love it. Dead silent for me and skims well. Plus it looks great too which is nice lol. Pumps draw very little power and are super quiet and powerful at the same time. Fantastic design. Can't knock the swc skimmers, but I'll say I love my curve 5 and have no regrets. Well...I do have one regret after seeing multiple SRO SSS skimmers for sale used at the same price my curve was. I'd have probably purchased one of those instead but that's a big leap up in price range so I didn't even consider one of those brand new

evsalty
11/17/2013, 03:46 PM
I have the curve9 and I think it is a great skimmer. It is a bit loud though but has gotten better since new.This skimmer pulls out some amazing gunt, better than anything I have ever owned. The tank is 125g total volume is ~150g, 2medium tangs and 6 other smaller(3") fish. The rest of the tank is SPS doninant with some LPS. I replaced a BM NAC7 with the Curve9 and this skimmer has impressed me. I will be getting another one for my new 220 build.

Are you going with the C9 for the 220? If so that suggests that the C7 would be sufficient for my water volume.

Curve 5 user on 55 gallon tank. Love it love it. Dead silent for me and skims well. Plus it looks great too which is nice lol. Pumps draw very little power and are super quiet and powerful at the same time. Fantastic design. Can't knock the swc skimmers, but I'll say I love my curve 5 and have no regrets. Well...I do have one regret after seeing multiple SRO SSS skimmers for sale used at the same price my curve was. I'd have probably purchased one of those instead but that's a big leap up in price range so I didn't even consider one of those brand new

The SRO's look very nice for sure. I have only seen one in person for a matter of minutes so no real experience with them. I do see that they need very shallow water. That means having to put them on a high platform for sure. That was why I had to rule them out when I got the SWC since I currently only have 20" of height avail. But once I upgrade my main tank I will have different plumbing and have more height avail.

Timber77
11/17/2013, 03:53 PM
I don't see the gain from the curved skimmers, you loose out on chamber size.
would suggest looking at the used market as can find some deals out there if you look

Bpb
11/17/2013, 04:04 PM
Are you going with the C9 for the 220? If so that suggests that the C7 would be sufficient for my water volume.

The SRO's look very nice for sure. I have only seen one in person for a matter of minutes so no real experience with them. I do see that they need very shallow water. That means having to put them on a high platform for sure. That was why I had to rule them out when I got the SWC since I currently only have 20" of height avail. But once I upgrade my main tank I will have different plumbing and have more height avail.

Yeah it's not really fair to compare an import skimmer in the $200 range with a domestic made skimmer of double price range. Most people will agree bubble blaster pumps are very good. I love my curve 5 but I'm not gonna sit there and compare it to a SRO, vertex, or bubble king.

artpics
11/18/2013, 11:21 PM
my Curve 7 on my 93g is amazing compared to the Reef Octopus XS160 Diablo, i have sitting in the cupboard.
the curve is silent
Built Well
Designed well

been running for 1 year with no complaints. Highly Recommended.

phxreefer
11/18/2013, 11:33 PM
I am going with the C9 on the new set up. If you want to see them both in action (NAC7 & C9) let me know. I'd be happy to let you come by and see them for yourself. You won't believe what this skimmer pulls out.

evsalty
11/19/2013, 05:59 PM
my Curve 7 on my 93g is amazing compared to the Reef Octopus XS160 Diablo, i have sitting in the cupboard.
the curve is silent
Built Well
Designed well

been running for 1 year with no complaints. Highly Recommended.

Funny I have another thread that has several skimmers listed asking for input on all of them and I included the XS160 lol. Not much responses on most of the listed skimmers but these BM's seem to have quite a following already.

I am going with the C9 on the new set up. If you want to see them both in action (NAC7 & C9) let me know. I'd be happy to let you come by and see them for yourself. You won't believe what this skimmer pulls out.

I just got to see the Curve 5 and 7 over at Aquarium Arts yesterday but dry only. They look to built well. The 7 looks huge compared to the 5 so I can only imagine how big the 9 looks. Thank you for the offer to see the skimmer in action. I am in no hurry to buy but BF/CM may provide deals to good to pass up. If I don't I may take you up on that offer at some point.

evsalty
11/22/2013, 10:04 AM
I am in no hurry to buy but BF/CM may provide deals to good to pass up. If I don't I may take you up on that offer at some point.

Looks like black Friday deals won out. BRS is having an early BF and has the Vertex Omega 150 on sale for $249 so I just ordered it. They say it will even ship today.