PDA

View Full Version : Connecting skimmer without air from outdoors

dppitone
11/14/2013, 04:07 AM
Hi I'd be grateful if someone could advise me on how to make the connection to an air tube running from the outside or our home to the skimmer, to feed the aeration. Here is a photo of what the airline on our venturi skimmer looks like - Thanks!! Dave
http://www.woodenhez.com/superskimmerinset.png

ricwilli
11/14/2013, 04:23 AM
The piece thats in the top square box is the filter/silencer. If the silencer comes off, you will want to put that at the end off the tube thats on the outside of the house. The other end just gets connected to the pump as it is shown in the bottom red box on the pump. I also have a tube running to the outside and my ph is always stable.

dppitone
11/14/2013, 04:37 AM
Thanks, I will check and see if it is removeable, I think it is. And question on the tube running to the outside of your house: is it the same size air tubing, but on a long run? I'm curious on the draw the pump has vs. the friction of a small tube for a longer distance.

ricwilli
11/14/2013, 04:49 AM
The tube that I ran is larger than the one that came with the skimmer. I just slipped the skinnier skimmer tube into the larger tube and taped around it so that it will not slip out. Make sure that the tube thats on the outside has some type of filter. You do not want anything going into it. Also make sure that the tube is in a place where it can not suck in any type of fumes. Mine is in the garage but I do not park my car in it.

atmercure
11/14/2013, 04:51 AM
mine is a little bit different being that its a beckett skimmer. i got some airline tubing from lowes and ran it outside. it works great. my ph was always 7.8-8.0 depending on lights. now its 8.2-8.3 all the time. just get some line and run from pump to outside. mine didnt react any different with the line. good luck

dppitone
11/14/2013, 05:10 AM
Cool thanks for the reference pic.

The filter on our skimmer pulls out, so I can attach it to the end of the run outdoors.

dppitone
11/14/2013, 05:23 AM
Question: the filter has two leads, presuming one is an input and one is an output. Can I attach the tube running from the outdoors to the input of the filter, mounted on the skimmer as it is, and then leave the output tube to the pump as in the photo?

Mike S
11/14/2013, 05:44 AM
It looks like your silence has two ports on it. Tubing leads from one down to the venturi on your pump. The other is open and is where the air is drawn into it. Simply connect your tubing that runs to the outside of your house to the second one. That how I set mine up.

dppitone
11/14/2013, 05:48 AM
Ok that seemed to be the case, but I just wanted to check and make sure. Got it now, Thanks all.

It looks like your silence has two ports on it. Tubing leads from one down to the venturi on your pump. The other is open and is where the air is drawn into it. Simply connect your tubing that runs to the outside of your house to the second one. That how I set mine up.