PDA

View Full Version : How do you Dimm your Par30/Par38 LED bulb.....

_ToXIc_
11/14/2013, 01:21 PM
looking at getting an dimmable Par30/Par38 LED, they state "Dimmable with standard household dimmer."

just looking for ideas on how you've accomplished this? ive googled around and cant find a good solution..

i did however come across these

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Lutron-Credenza-300-Watt-Plug-In-Lamp-Dimmer-Black-TT-300NLH-BL/100478442?keyword=Lutron+Credenza+TT-300NLH-BL+-+Lamp+Dimmer#.UoUicxC81EI

but not sure if they will work.. i prefer to use a plug-in variety instead of the wall switch type.

Mark Bianco
11/14/2013, 04:09 PM
The old fashioned dimmers used a variable resistance (rehostat or potentiometer) in series with the light. This method wastes electricity as the power not used in the light is consumed by the resistance and is converted to heat as well

Modern dimmers still use a potentiometer, but it is used to control additional electronics (SCR's TRIAC's etc). These newer dimmers do not waste electricity by generating heat. Instead they control how much of the AC sine wave is allowed to flow through the light. This is done by controlling the phase angle of conduction of either an SCR or TRIAC. This method controls how much of an AC sin wave is allowed to power the light. The effective amount of average power that a partial sine wave has is less than an average of a full sine wave. The result is that the light glows at a dimmer intensity because the effective average voltage is lower.

Since a series resistor is not used to burn up excess energy to make the light dimmer, you end up saving energy. The only energy used is during the very brief pulses when the SCR or TRIAC is conducting.

So in your case what you linked should work just fine..

The above found on the internet and I just copied and pasted it. I understood the basic but this guy did an excellent job of describing everything

Mark

zachts
11/14/2013, 09:23 PM
The one you linked says it is not compatable with LED/CFL. Dimmers need to be rated and designed for use on electronic ballasted lighting. They will be rated for CFL or LED. An incandescent only dimmer, even a new one will shorten the life of a par38 LED bulb as it causes the ballast electronics to heat up and slowly burn out. It may also pose a fire hazard to use the wrong dimmer even though it will dim the LED.

Most home improvement stores will have one that works but you might not find one on a cord and need to wire a wall plate version into a weather proof junction box.

_ToXIc_
11/15/2013, 08:51 AM
wow didnt see the part about not being compatible with LED/CFL

i guess the weather proof junction box way will have to do..

now to fine a dimmer that will take 0-10v input :)

zachts
11/15/2013, 08:19 PM
I didn't think they made them but, I guess they do, this would be your best solution, price wise, as wiring up a wall switch will be about 30 to 40 bucks after you add everything up.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Leviton-300-Watt-Incandescent-CFL-LED-Tabletop-Dimmer-White-R12-TBL03-10W/203812625#specifications

Just make sure the packageing specifically states that it works with CFL/LED.

_ToXIc_
11/18/2013, 11:11 AM
I didn't think they made them but, I guess they do, this would be your best solution, price wise, as wiring up a wall switch will be about 30 to 40 bucks after you add everything up.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Leviton-300-Watt-Incandescent-CFL-LED-Tabletop-Dimmer-White-R12-TBL03-10W/203812625#specifications

Just make sure the packageing specifically states that it works with CFL/LED.

thanks i'll check it out