PDA

View Full Version : Upgrading to MH.

Nick S
11/14/2013, 08:21 PM
Hi!

I've been running 8x54 watt staggered T5 on two vue660 ballasts. My tank is 72" long x 24" wide x 30" deep. I feel I'm ready to up my lighting game. The tank is built into the wall so I can't fit a 72" fixture up there, I don't have the clearance. So I'm thinking about the 60" 3x250w fixture by Hamilton....

http://www.marineandreef.com/Hamilton_Technology_Cebu_Sun_60_inch_Fixture_p/RHTA51753.htm?gclid=CMm8qOLa5boCFfRlOgodD2QAHw

A couple of questions/concerns I have.

1. How much will my electric bill go up compared to the T5? 50% more electricity or more or less?

2. Will I immediately need a chiller or can I wait until the summer to get one?

3. My tank was custom built by a lfs and I'm not too crazy about the bracing on the top. There are two big openings to the water but with 3/4" glass bracing from front to back, one in the middle, and the other two on each side. I suspect the two side bulbs of the fixture to be over the openings, but the center bulb will be shining directly down on the thick glass brace (which is about 15 inches wide). Will the glass affect the lighting? And will the heat from the lamp affect the structural durability of the center brace and tank?

Thanks for reading! Any info is greatly appreciated.