PDA

View Full Version : Hypo and adding fish

carnophage
11/14/2013, 11:05 PM
So i just lost my angel and am going to QT the remaining fish in my DT and hypo treat them. My question is, since i want to add more fish, would it be a good idea to just get the fish now, and QT/Hypo treat them along with the remaining fish i still have in my DT? The remaining fish i have, 2 clowns and a goby) only show a couple spots, the angel got hit fast and hard. so I want to add back a angel, would this work? I figure since I would have to QT the new fish anyway, the hypo if anything showed up anyway, why not treat them all at once anyway?

Thanks for your advice!

Newsmyrna80
11/15/2013, 07:38 AM
What are you treating for/what did the Angel die of? Although it sounds like it would save time and resources I would not get new fish until the current ones are cured and back into the main. You don't know what disease a new fish could bring into the old fish. The old fish are going to compromised or weakened immune systems from fighting a disease. If you potentially add another disease they may not survive it.

MrTuskfish
11/15/2013, 01:12 PM
Hypo only treats ich; and I no longer trust it to do that. I'm convinced there are strains of ich that have developed resistance/immunity to hypo and there is no room for hobbyist error. Copper or CP is a much better choice; IMO & IME. If you add any new fish during the hypo (or any) treatment period; the clock re-starts on day one.