PDA

View Full Version : Firefish

Saltwaterfreak1
11/15/2013, 11:32 AM
would a firefish be able to go in a 30 gallon tank

thegrun
11/15/2013, 11:48 AM
They are fine in a 30 gallon tank as long as you don't have any aggressive fish in the tank with them. They are shy and hide a lot, especially if they have simi-agressive tankmates.

igot2gats
11/15/2013, 11:55 AM
Yes, they're fine for a 30g. This goes with ALL fish, but Firefish are known to jump more than others, so I would put a lid on your tank.

Also +1 to thegrun. Just make sure to have a community (non-aggressive fish) in your tank with them.

Saltwaterfreak1
11/15/2013, 12:53 PM
pair of clowns

firefish

royal gramma

mandarin goby

these are the fish i am wanting in my tank????? Would they be good together

stlcards14
11/15/2013, 01:00 PM
My clown fish killed 3 fire fish when I tried to add them when I had a 30 gallon tank.

stlcards14
11/15/2013, 01:02 PM
The tank is to small for a mandarin dragonet. They're a pain to feed and even if you get then on frozen food (which I did) the other fish will still out compete them for their food because they are very slow eaters.

Saltwaterfreak1
11/15/2013, 01:03 PM
My clown fish killed 3 fire fish when I tried to add them when I had a 30 gallon tank.

Another person said that the clown and firefish could go together

Reef Frog
11/15/2013, 01:21 PM
Another person said that the clown and firefish could go together

I've seen it done but you risk some aggression as clowns are damsels after all. I would avoid the more aggressive clowns like Maroons & Tomatoes if you want a FF.

If you do it I would add the fire fish first & let it get established and add baby clowns later. You would need lots of places for the fire fish to hide in the LR. It might work out, it might not. I'd be prepared to separate the fish if needed & that would require taking the rockscape apart unless you are a fish ninja.

FF like to hang out front in the water column in roughly the same spots, swimming against the currents. If they can't do this natural behavior I don't think they will thrive IMO. This could be difficult with clowns madly dashing about but don't know for sure as I've never kept clowns. +1 on the top as clowns may keep FF on edge & likely to jump.

Also agree on mixing the mandarin from this 30g.

Saltwaterfreak1
11/15/2013, 01:30 PM
I've seen it done but you risk some aggression as clowns are damsels after all. I would avoid the more aggressive clowns like Maroons & Tomatoes if you want a FF.

If you do it I would add the fire fish first & let it get established and add baby clowns later. You would need lots of places for the fire fish to hide in the LR. It might work out, it might not. I'd be prepared to separate the fish if needed & that would require taking the rockscape apart unless you are a fish ninja.

FF like to hang out front in the water column in roughly the same spots, swimming against the currents. If they can't do this natural behavior I don't think they will thrive IMO. This could be difficult with clowns madly dashing about but don't know for sure as I've never kept clowns. +1 on the top as clowns may keep FF on edge & likely to jump.

Also agree on mixing the mandarin from this 30g.

So keep the mandarin out?? Ive been told to get one that has been grown up on processed food. If i do that i might be able to get one. Or do you have a suggestion for another bright and colorful goby???

I will probably get something to cover the top just so that the FF doesn't jump out. I would really like to have it. Do the clowns have to be babies? Is it so that they grow up with the firefish and arent aggressive with him?

Reef Frog
11/15/2013, 02:47 PM
You should have lots of room & a big stable pod population for a mandarin, even if its trained to eat frozen foods. And they're reports of them all of a sudden rejecting frozen food later in life for no apparent reason, so having pods available is always a food idea. This is all from reading & not actual experience.

Yes the idea is introduce the shy fish first so it can establish a territory. Juvenile fish are often less aggressive & gives them a chance to come to terms with their neighbors. Kind of letting kittens & puppies grow up together rather than bringing home a new cat to an adult dog.

Yellow gobies are great IMO and take up very few nano tank resources. Or consider small basslets like yellow assessors, chalk bass etc for peaceful colorful fish that are good in a smaller tank. There are too many gobies to list but they are good too.

Saltwaterfreak1
11/16/2013, 12:37 AM
Yeah I'm gonna go with a diamond watchman goby. I'm hoping to have more then just 3 fish. And I'm wanting a bunch of coral ( well as much as I am able to). If you guys can ever help please just message me

Good_GReef
11/16/2013, 01:10 AM
I think my diamond was a pain when i first started my 90g. Sand storms everywhere so be prepared

Ssteve
11/16/2013, 01:22 AM
I have a 35 with two clowns, clown goby, watchman, and a Pygmy angel. The female clown was the first one in and is very territorial to me and her mate when I added him in. All the others she doesn't hassle at all. However I started acclimating a little differently. Float the bag for 10-15min with lights at 1/2 the usual. Place the new fish in a hang on container and acclimate in the container.. Just make sure non of the LFS water get into your tank. I do a fairly long acclimation. The clowns will hover around the container and even peck at it for a bit, but by the time the fish makes it in the dt they both usually just say hi and then are back to being clowns... The bigger thing though would be to find out your LFS return policy, so if all else fails, return the fish and try with something else.

Andy_B
11/16/2013, 03:54 AM
I have just added 4 purple firefish to my 150 gal. They were added a week ago and have only just (today) started showing themselves (other than feeding time), but even now only come out for a while and then hide again. I have them with two perc clowns, one foxface and an anthia. None of the other fish pay them any attention though.

madweazl
11/16/2013, 04:58 AM
I didnt have any trouble with a firefish in my 26g. Some of these nasty clowns surprise me, mine have always been great. I love firefish, so elegant and dirt cheap too :)

dmh41532
11/16/2013, 11:36 AM
excellent choice of fish, they are shy though and don't seem to like a lot of fast movement, atleast the ones I've had.

Saltwaterfreak1
11/16/2013, 11:38 AM
Instead of a mandarin goby I'm going to get a diamond watchman goby. I hVe like 6-7 corals that I'm wanting roo

Mark9
11/16/2013, 06:35 PM
I'm a bit late to the party, but my 2 clowns do not bother my firefish at all. The royal gramma makes nasty faces at the firefish, but he could care less.
My firefish also loves to swim in the current.
Tank is 29G.
Just saying, not all fish are the same.

hogfanreefer
11/16/2013, 06:48 PM
Might work but I think you up your odds if you add a single clown (ocellaris or true perc). My firefish and royal gramma were the first two fish in my tank and even though all of my other fish are peaceful the firefish won't get in there and mix it up at feeding time. I distract the rest of the fish at one end and drop some food in his end of the tank.

Saltwaterfreak1
11/16/2013, 07:12 PM
I'm a bit late to the party, but my 2 clowns do not bother my firefish at all. The royal gramma makes nasty faces at the firefish, but he could care less.
My firefish also loves to swim in the current.
Tank is 29G.
Just saying, not all fish are the same.

Mine is going to be 30 gal. So that's nice that i know you have the exact same as the stuff I want lol ;D