PDA

View Full Version : Test kit recommendations....

fishouttawater
11/15/2013, 06:45 PM
I got my first SPS frags from a friend, have only had softies and LPS until now. I have API test kit for pH, am, nitrates and nitrites, but am now wanting to test for kH and Calcium.

Any recommendations on best (ie cheapest but accurate) kit? The one I'm looking at is red sea's reef foundations kit for $50. tests cal, kH, and Mg...is that a good one? Something else better?

Also, if once I test and find things need adjustment, any recs on dosing kits? Thanks
Ps my tank is small 24gal and I have two 1-2 inch frags of sps (Montipora digitata and Acropora tricolor)

fishouttawater
11/15/2013, 06:49 PM
Realized this might be better in reef chemistry...moving it over.

jdraider75
11/15/2013, 06:52 PM
I like that red sea cal alk and mg kit been using it for a while. As for dosing I use the bulk reef supply 2 part they have a start up kit with mix jugs measure cups alk cal and mg and dosers. Thats what I use I know there are several other kinds to use.

Peter Eichler
11/15/2013, 06:56 PM
My suggestions for cheap but still accurate... Easy to use and enough resolution and accuracy for our needs. I would suggest ditching the vials for something with a wider mouth that you can swirl and getting a 5 ml syringe

API Calcium, API Alkalinity

Down the road go for a Salifert Magnesium and a Hanna CHecker for PO4.

fishouttawater
11/15/2013, 07:02 PM
Cool I was looking at the brs dosing kit too...good to hear someone else likes it

DiscusHeckel
11/15/2013, 07:03 PM
I would recommend Salifert for KH, Ca and Mg, and Elos for phosphates. I would also get Fauna Marin's multi-referenz calibration solution to calibrate the Salifert readings.

fishouttawater
11/15/2013, 07:07 PM
My suggestions for cheap but still accurate... Easy to use and enough resolution and accuracy for our needs. I would suggest ditching the vials for something with a wider mouth that you can swirl and getting a 5 ml syringe

API Calcium, API Alkalinity

Down the road go for a Salifert Magnesium and a Hanna CHecker for PO4.

Thanks...I'm pretty new to the dosing game. Do I need a reactor?

Peter Eichler
11/15/2013, 07:11 PM
Thanks...I'm pretty new to the dosing game. Do I need a reactor?

Nope, you won't have a lot of demand in that tank so you should be able to get by with dosing BRS or similar for quite a while.

fishouttawater
11/15/2013, 07:40 PM
Sweet. Thanks again.

Nanook
11/15/2013, 07:57 PM
[moved]

Timfish
11/16/2013, 06:53 PM
I use API. Here's a couple of articles:

http://dfwmas.org/files/TestKitAnalysis.pdf

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2012/6/chemistry

phillrodrigo
11/16/2013, 08:49 PM
I wouldnt even bother with a phosphate test kit they are useless. The more algea you have the higher your phosphates are. There are 2 types of phosphates our test kits only test for 1. The best test kit for phosphates is looking at your tank. I never use mine. A good way is how often do you have to mag float your glass. If every day to every other they are very high. If twice a week not to bad could be lowered but not the end of the world if once a week your in a good place and have low phosphates. A test kit can also test 0 but still have algea well its not possible to have no phosphates but have algea.