PDA

View Full Version : Best LED's for reef???

waddwadd
11/17/2013, 05:16 PM
I have a 4 ft 90 gallon reef tank, and I am wanting to upgrade to LED's so that i can do SPS and LPS coral. What is a light that is on the cheaper side that would work great for any coral??? THANKS!!!

jimrawr
11/17/2013, 05:23 PM
Are you knew to reefs? From your question it seems that you are and you should really do some research before jumping in. My 2 cents is that LEDs are not for beginners and require a deeper knowledge of lighting, par, spectrum etc vs going with t5s or MH. All can grow any type of coral you want, but T5 and MH tend to be plug and play. Also trying to go budget on lighting is not the best move, you will end up selling it and buying a better unit in a short matter of time. Lighting is the last place to try to save money on IMO.

waddwadd
11/17/2013, 06:49 PM
I actually am not new to tanks... Just asking for opinions, that is all. I have 4-bulb T5 HO and it is not able to grow hard corals as I have tried many times and they have not made it. I have many other corals that are softies though that are perfect. Just wanting some more advanced lights. Thanks!

waddwadd
11/17/2013, 06:50 PM
The reason the question may have been a bit odd is I am only 14. I am younger and may not be the best at everything you know! Thank you though

RedDeadReef
11/17/2013, 06:58 PM
14? That's young to start man I started at 19 and started with LEDs. If you can get two evergrow D120's they're full spectrum and dimmable. Cost about $170 each on ebay, they grow most sps really well but there's a few sps pieces I've had that don't like them much. Nothing with die it just doesn't keep great color. Overall they're great for the price

Sethjamto
11/17/2013, 07:11 PM
Take a good look at the Reefbreeders. I'd recommend the Photon 32 for your tank. They have outstanding reviews!

waddwadd
11/17/2013, 09:09 PM
The evergrow D120's look AMAZING! Watched some reviews and the colors are awesome! Really looking into these! Do they come with hangers or anything??? Thank you!!!

waddwadd
11/17/2013, 09:14 PM
RedDeadReef, do these lights have a way to do different times of day? What I mean is i have programable T5's on my tank that do day sunries/sunset, and night, which would be moonlight's. Can this do that to? Thank you!

Twistofer
11/17/2013, 09:21 PM
IMO moonlight is best simulated with LED's. I don't know about the Evergrow LED's and if they are programmable.

sneeyatch
11/17/2013, 09:27 PM
You won't have total controllability of the fixtures, they do have separate controls for the blue and white spectrums and they can be plugged into timers, etc. so you can get your sunrise / sunset, then your daylight. I don think you're going to be able to have moons or anything unless you have something separate for that.

The controllable fixtures obviously cost more but give you a wider range of control.

HTH

nanoreefer1000
11/18/2013, 08:27 PM
Reefbreeders is a good option.

Bpb
11/18/2013, 09:09 PM
Those are fine fixtures though I fear you may not find what you're looking for. I'm growing acropora WONDERFULLY with a 4 bulb T5HO fixture on my 55 gallon. Granted your 90 will have more front to back space and it would be ideal to have a 6-8 bulb fixture. Point is, to have complete failure at keeping sps indicates that it's more than the lights at play. At worse, in otherwise ideal conditions, you'd be limited to keeping them somewhat centrally located under the lights, and only in the top half of the tank. My acro frag rack is in the bottom corner of my tank. Par is probably less than 100, but a fresh cut will encrust on the plug within a week even in those low light conditions

DavidinGA
11/18/2013, 09:10 PM
Reefbreeders

ahmed_iAM
11/23/2013, 04:04 PM
Reefbreeders, oceanrevive, it's all just rebranded. It's just the Evergrow lights. I think two D120's would be nice. I have two of them on my 120gallon. Only thing is to acclimate your corals slowly to LEDs. LED's fry your corals a lot easier. The 3500k's on the ocean revive one's arent a big deal but if you have troubles with algae it might not be the greatest.

madweazl
11/23/2013, 05:35 PM
I've been doing a lot of digging on budget friendly LEDs the last couple weeks and always come back to the ReefBreeders Photons when it comes to bang for the buck.

sonoma2nv
11/23/2013, 06:48 PM
there is never a best in this hoddy since ppl will disagree on what they like.goto you fish store or a friends and look at there tank and see how u like them in person.

Meanstreet5150
11/23/2013, 08:50 PM
I just bought Oceanrevive IT 2040 programmable LED'S don't have them on the tank yet. But will post when it is done

Azraz
11/23/2013, 09:25 PM
I have a Reefbreeders 48 on a 75 gal. and really like it. Very programmable and corals are thriving. I have a mixed reef, LPS, SPS and softies. All are doing good. Had it only about six weeks and only have it at 40% on both channels. If you get LEDs start out LOW, and watch your corals, the will tell you when they want more power.

dmh8801
11/24/2013, 08:44 AM
I have a Reefbreeders Photon and I'm very happy with it. Great light.