PDA

View Full Version : Newbie with a 24g Nano DX

E.Y.
11/18/2013, 06:52 PM
I have been doing a lot of research and do not want to ask questions that have been answered over and over. I have heard a lot about the lighting but just wanted to confirm that I can use the lighting provided and it is not a requirement to upgrade. I have the older version with the CF's.

mpeaden2
11/18/2013, 07:31 PM
Depends on what corals you're interested in and depth of tank. Cf's alone aren't going to give you the much penetration. May want to use in conjunction with another light. Also make sure color temp is right. 6500k isn't going to do much but grow algae

E.Y.
11/18/2013, 07:38 PM
Thank you. The more I look, the more I'm thinking that I should upgrade to LED. I saw some suggestions for nanotuner.com but I don't see any upgrades for sale on their site.

I looked at JBJ and their upgraded hood is around $340. I just bought this DX for $100. Would I be better off just buying the new 24 with the already upgraded LEDs?

mpeaden2
11/18/2013, 07:49 PM
Depends on if you are willing to spend the extra $$$. I think you will be glad you did in the long run. The cf's may be more frustration than they're worth. Not to mention your tank will look a million times better with led's compared to cf's

E.Y.
11/18/2013, 08:55 PM
Well, that sounds like the plan at this point now. Thank you for the assistance. Bummer, thinking I got a good deal and now realizing it probably won't even work!