PDA

View Full Version : Firefish hiding all day

draconia11
11/19/2013, 05:13 PM
Hello everyone,

I have an established 37gallon marine aquarium to which I just added a juvi (1.5-2in) yellow tang and one firefish. There are no other fish in the tank and I probably have about 30-40lbs LR in the tank. Levels are all in the acceptable range.

After I added my two fish the firefish was swimming happily and looked like he was having fun in the current from my powerhead. He was out almost all day the first day I acclimated him and added him to the tank. The funniest thing was that the yellow tang was following him like a lost puppy. Not harassing the firefish, but almost like he didn't want to be alone. The tang would even tilt to the side when near the firefish sometimes. Everything was good and both were eating nicely on the first feed.

But today the firefish has been hiding in his hole in the LR all day. He came out for a good 10 seconds and went promptly back into hiding. Just seems strange. Maybe he is intimidated by the yellow tang? I am hoping he will become more comfortable and stop hiding...

RayL
11/19/2013, 05:27 PM
The yellow tang does not belong in that size tank, he will constantly feel cramped and this will cause constant aggression towards any fish you add to this tank. A firefish is a very timid fish and with a yellow tang in this size tank, your firefish will most likely constantly hide and endup starving to death.

I would recommend removing the yellow tang, leaving the firefish in the tank alone for a couple weeks and then adding a fish more appropriate to your size tank.

danimallaminad
11/19/2013, 09:39 PM
+1^