PDA

View Full Version : Is this an OK starter setup?

mikec1231
11/19/2013, 07:19 PM
I have been reading for the last week on the forum about setting up a reef tank with a few fish. My goal is to become familiar with managing a saltwater tank growing soft and sps coral and keeping some fish alive.
Although we live on the west coast, we purchased a home in Florida that has an idea place for a large tank (~300 gal). Years ago we had FW fish and I am quite familiar with caring and raising fish. I don't know SW but with some of the new technology! it is not as daunting as it was 30 years ago.
I just found the following on CL and I am asking for you experienced guys if this might be a reasonable place to get started. It seems like a skimmer is missing in the list but most of the hardware is included.
"70 Gallon Saltwater Aquarium. Comes with: Coralife 48" T5 High Output Lighting System w/ 2xDaylight bulbs and 2xActinic Bulbs, 50-60lbs of Live Rock, wooden stand, Fluval canister filter, overflow tank, green Brittle Star, assorted fish (clown fish x 2, cleaner wrasse, hermit crabs, blue damsel, foxface rabbit, turbo snails), electric timer x 2, powerhead x 2, heaters x 2, 18" compact flourescent light for overflow tank. EVERYTHING MUST GO. "
What do you think?
Thanks
Mike

Boston21
11/19/2013, 07:22 PM
How much for it? Seems like a decent system. I'd omit the canister and go with a different fixture, I'm not much of a fan of my Corallife 48W fixture (2 bulb). I hear the AquaticLife ones are much better quality and have less of a burnout rate. (the ballast's go out because they get really hot)

mpeaden2
11/19/2013, 09:10 PM
I would never recommend the canister filter. They are usually the first mistake people make when getting into this hobby

nmbeg
11/19/2013, 09:20 PM
it's also missing a protein skimmer, which is a must.

p.s. welcome to reefkeeping! read all the stickies on this forum--there is a lot to learn, it's very different than saltwater.

Boston21
11/19/2013, 09:39 PM
Yeah, definitely invest in a good used or new skimmer. You'll need it.

igot2gats
11/19/2013, 09:51 PM
I wouldn't buy a tank with fish if you've never had SW fish before, in attempt to keep them.

Take the fish to an LFS near you for store credit, or give them to someone who knows what they're doing.

How much for all of this?

mikec1231
11/19/2013, 10:31 PM
It is, "make me an offer for it all." I am not sure what it would be worth. Any ideas?

Boston21
11/19/2013, 11:05 PM
Low ball him like 400-600 and see if he's hurting to sell it or not. Some people try to get out fast, and some people try to sell their stuff on craigslist for full value (which is pretty dumb if you ask me)

phillrodrigo
11/20/2013, 04:58 PM
Not sure that I would pay 600. Tank 1 per gallon used maybe another 50 for the stand. 3$ per pound of libe rock. I think 400 is fair

Boston21
11/20/2013, 05:14 PM
Yeah, I mean im a college student so I'd low ball him all day. But I dont know the OP's financial situation so... xD

fpv930
11/20/2013, 06:41 PM
Mike,

There are def some great deals on CL. However, don't make the mistake of purchasing a setup you think might be a good deal only to start replacing everything but the tank. That is what I did on my first setup. I would check with the LFS and get some pricing for a "starter" setup. You might be pleasantly surprised with an LFS who is willing to help you get started.

The setup you posted seems like you would end up using the tank and stand only. I agree canister filters are issues waiting to happen with a SW tank. Now, if you can pick up this system for $200.00 or so it might be worth it. JMHO

Boston21
11/20/2013, 06:42 PM
Alot of the stuff im sure his LFS would take trade-in on that he doesnt need.