PDA

View Full Version : Would this plumbing setup work for a kitchen counter tank?

FlyPenFly
11/19/2013, 09:48 PM
Putting a shallow cube on my kitchen counter. I can't plumb beneath it at all due to the counter being granite. I do however have a lot of space next to it. Curious if I could elavate a small sump above it. I would drill a bulkhole near the level I want the water in the sump.

In the display tank, I would probably silicone on some sort of compact overflow just big enough for an MJ1200 to fit in it. This will give me surface skimming and in case some blockage on the drain occurs, I won't dump all the tank water into the sump.

Thing I'm being mindful of:

- Overflow must be high and just big enough for a MJ1200. Do not want to accidentally push all the tank water into too small a sump.

- Sump bulkhead must be just below or at the level I want in the sump. This way on pump shut off it won't overflow the tank. Perhaps I need to install an overflow on this side as well?

- Everything will be hard plumbed with the prettiest PVC I can find.

Would the ATO water level sensor be on the display tank or sump?

http://i.imgur.com/6iBC0xn.png

Aqualund
11/19/2013, 11:35 PM
Looks to me like its the same as if the 5-10gal was the tank and the rimless was the sump. It's like your using the sump as the display...the water should move fine the way you envision it....but I dont think it will be optimal.

Maybe put an overflow in the tank and have that drain directly into the sump which is below the water line instead?

FlyPenFly
11/20/2013, 12:38 AM
Lol duh that's a lot easier. I probably subconsciously just wanted to drill a cheap Aqueon tank first since I've never done it before instead of the expensive rimless tank.

But as a 12 inch high tank, the water line will probably be only 10.5" to 11" high, I wonder if that's tall enough for a small sump. I mainly just want to be able to run a reactor or dose and possibly a small skimmer. I don't think I'll even be putting a baffle in.

Wills612
11/20/2013, 09:03 PM
could you put the sump in the cupboard above?

NaClTDog
11/20/2013, 10:13 PM
I have my sump above my tank. Just make sure the sump has a good bubble trap. The nice thing is I can get a good 4 inch wave in the main tank. Your setup needs the ato in the sump, mine need to be in the main tank. Just think ato is in the same place as your pump. Oh my main tank is 4ftx 3ft. 30in deep.

Richocet83
11/22/2013, 02:58 AM
What about turning the cube into an AIO? I have a 2.5 gal DIY AIO on my kitchen counter and it's a small footprint, easy to maintain, and no worries of plumbing/overflow problems in my kitchen. Just a thought.

Adamc1303
11/22/2013, 04:25 AM
AIO sounds like it will save you allot of heart ache.