PDA

View Full Version : quarantine regiment, advise on paraguard

Art13
11/22/2013, 08:09 AM
After reading for the past week on diseases, having an outbreak in my DT, I now have a quarantine tank (permanent setup, bio filter and floss) and would like some feedback on it. This will first be done on the fish i have left in the display and as well for any new arrivals. The first thing i will do is put them in the QT for a day or two, let them adjust, make sure they are eating, after that, i will begin treating with cupramine for 4 weeks (this number may be adjusted higher, but after all the reading it is my choice that it will not be anything less, some might not agree, i can't risk another infection though and losing over half my fish). After that time I will run charcoal for a few days to pull out the copper as well as a large water change (there will also be smaller water changes as needed throughout this process). I was then planning on using paraguard (unless there is a better full spectrum med out there) and dosing that for anywhere between 1-4 weeks, as I am unfamiliar with the product, i was hoping on some feedback as to 1. if this is necessary or will the copper handle all pests/infections that this one does and 2. how long this treatment should last. The final 4 weeks will be med free and just observing the fish for any other signs before the display move, a total of 12 weeks all in all. Any insight as to the duration and necessity of paraguard as well as if i should be using anything else or different will be very much appreciated. I also understand everyone has a different opinion, i respect that, and all are welcome, i will do research on each to come to my own plan, but hearing stories straight from reefers who have used this or similar methods i believe will benefit me greatly, I am looking for as close to 100% disease free fish as i can get.

Art13
11/22/2013, 12:05 PM
any thoughts on this?

MellowReefer
11/22/2013, 12:17 PM
Don't bother with Paraguard. It doesn't work all the time, it's more of a general preventative med only for people who aren't trying to be 100% sure they don't have ich. I also tried it once for a bacterial infection and it didn't help at all. If you are worried about crypto (marine ich) or velvet than the Cupramine has you covered. Many people also use Prazipro which covers flukes better than Cupramine and I think a few other internal parasites and it can be done before or after Cupramine but just make sure you follow the directions before you use it, doing a large water change before or using ammonia detoxifier as they instruct as it can be lethal to add if you have ammonia in the water.

Art13
11/22/2013, 12:23 PM
So with cupramine and prazi treatments i should be pretty well covered before i put them in the display?

MellowReefer
11/22/2013, 01:20 PM
Yes. If I were you I'd do 4 weeks of Cupramine (after you get to the full dose - I split the dose over 5 days to lessen the chance it may kill the fish) then add the Prazipro and wait the rest of the time to make sure your fish are clear. Most recommend leaving all fish out of your main tank for 8 weeks to be sure the tank is clear of it. Also by the way I wouldn't rely solely on carbon to remove Cupramine, I would use poly filters. Remember when you do water changes to calculate the exact amount of Cupramine you took out and add exactly the right amount. Be very careful with your calculations, add it slowly, as this stuff is powerful and can easily kill your fish if you overdose.

stlcards14
11/27/2013, 01:31 PM
If we are talking about ich here....I always use tank transfer method. Copper can cause internal issues and can cause your fish to lose the desire to eat. Tank transfer is much safer all you have to do is keep a close eye on the PH and ammonia. I also use Prazi pro for internal parasites. Leave your DT empty for 72+ days (I know it sucks...I've been through it too) and your DT will be ich free. From here on out I recommend you QT all fish like they already have ich because it can slip past you if you just observe until symptoms appear. Good luck.