PDA

View Full Version : Nano Reef Algae Scrubber

fireborn230
11/24/2013, 12:47 AM
Hey guys, I'm not new to the forum but back into the hobby. I used to have a 40 gal bow-front with a 20 gal sump. I own my own business and found I didn't have the time to dedicate to the 40.
I recently got a 24 Gal Nano-Cube. I have 2 clowns, a spiny urchin, a few snails and crabs. I have a buddy who has a reef set up and is stable that was kind enough to give me some water change start up water so I could skip the beginning cycle. My interest in this tank is to make it into a reef but based on my experience it is best to have a solid stable tank.
When I was last in the hobby I wasn't aware of algae scrubbers. Everything I have read sounds great. I don't see many, if any, downsides.
The trick to this tank if I were to put in a scrubber is the lack of space. It has an overflow in the back that is about 2" wide, 12" or so deep and is about 24" across split in three sections.
The purpose of this long rant is I am wondering of anyone has ever put an algae scrubber in a tank like this and if they have any suggestions.
I'm thinking LED would be the best fit for the extreme lack of space.

If anyone can help with any builds for such a project, I appreciate it.

Thank you!

Jerzey
11/24/2013, 01:15 AM
alot people also use a clamp style shop light....any hardware store

fireborn230
11/24/2013, 01:31 AM
I have seen that but my tank is an all-inclusive nano. Veeery small sump in the back...

AZReefJunkie
11/24/2013, 05:20 AM
I can't remember where I saw it but a very cool way to do it is with an external led shining through the back panel glass into one of those chambers where they had a scrubber suspended. I'm looking to duplicate the setup in a couple weeks when my cycle is a little farther along. For purely algae growth he was using 4 deep red LEDs and 1 neutral white.

AZReefJunkie
11/24/2013, 05:22 AM
On a side note, I don't think just adding water from an established system will bypass the cycling unless you are also using cured live rock and no sand bed.

fireborn230
11/24/2013, 10:33 AM
I believe I saw that same setup you are referring to...Looks pretty decent. The only problem I have with it is the back of my tank on the overflow side is black ABS which is not transparent at all so no light will get through. If I do a similar setup, I think I will be forced to shine the light from overhead in the hood.
Is anyone out there familiar with what LED's to buy and what to use to drive them?

fireborn230
11/24/2013, 10:36 AM
Also AZReefJunkie, The water I moved over was all of his water change water. So I essentially moved his tank water over to mine. This water has been up and stable for over a year...now I just need to keep it going like it has been which is why I have interest in the scrubber. (he runs mechanical filtration) I don't much care for mechanical, nor do I have the room as my unit is all enclosed in one cube. I think if I get some good live rock in there and a scrubber I should be able to get a stable tank running don't you think?

fireborn230
11/24/2013, 11:24 AM
http://www.jbjlighting.com/pdfs/2006_12_24_Nano_Manual.pdf

This is the tank I have. I am trying to pull off an algae scrubber in the back divided area.

ideas?

AZReefJunkie
11/24/2013, 03:04 PM
Well in that case I believe jbj makes a submersible led for that very thing. Otherwise go to rapid led and get a heatsink that will fit in the available space and their 4 LED moonlight kit and ask them to swap the royal blue that come with it for four 660nm deep reds. Should do pretty well. Make sense? Are you using cute love rock or dry rock?

AZReefJunkie
11/24/2013, 03:05 PM
"Cured" live rock not "cute"

fireborn230
11/24/2013, 03:25 PM
Currently using dry rock. I plan on getting some live rock this week to jump start the dry rock conversion to live rock.
I will check out that submersible LED and see if that will work. Sounds like a great idea, now to see if I have the room to make it work.

sellmecorals
11/25/2013, 02:19 AM
Good luck