PDA

View Full Version : Algae bloom new tank! Protien skimmer?

Jar22187
11/25/2013, 06:40 PM
Hello everyone I am new to the hobby so please go easy... I have a biocube 29 setup with 30lbs of sand and 3lbs of live sand, 30 lbs of live rock filled with ro pre mixed saltwater from lfs. Everything is stock on the biocube. According to my lfs my tank has cycled all levels are to their likings. I informed them that diatoms can be seen covering the sand bed and green hair algae covers about 50 percent of the live rock. I left with a clean up crew of 6 margarita snails and 6 blue leg hermits. Ok so here is the problem the algae seems to be spreading. I am going to keep the lights off for a day or two to see if that helps. Today was the first day with lights out and my crew has done a decent number on the algae. But the water is getting a green tint. With the light on you can a lot of particals floating around in the water.. What do we think a protien skimmer is next? Ps bio balls were taken out from day one and stock carbon filter thrown away just now its spent. Tank is a little over a week old,copepods all over lower glass and an ugly bristle worm is hidding in the live rock.

Jar22187
11/25/2013, 07:34 PM
A few pictures of my tank

Sethjamto
11/25/2013, 09:09 PM
Aside from the GHA your tanks looks real clean. Don't worry, its all basically a new tank syndrome. When did you do your last water change and how much did you change? What are your test parameters? Algae is an indicator of PO4 usually. Try running some GFO in a bag in your sump and see if that helps clear it up after a couple of weeks.

I started with a 29g Biocube and had fun with that tank. I recommend getting rid of the Bioballs and installing a tray to run GFO and filter floss in there. The Biocube skimmer is worthless...don't buy it. There are MUCH better HOB skimmers out there you can get that will do go for you.