PDA

View Full Version : Does upgrading ever stop?

Guntotn
11/25/2013, 11:10 PM
Still fairly new to the hobby. Been in it almost a year and have had my new tank up since March. Going to add a fuge, want another mp40, New lights. Does it ever end? My wallet can't take much more.

sanababit
11/25/2013, 11:15 PM
Yes it does, when you stop reading or hearing the hype of the latest and greatest, it happened to me, now i do everything my own way, find cheap, used stuff, clean it and install it, now, albeit i do it now, i did buy expnsive equipment a while back and still use it to this day, good luck

Sana

zaitmi
11/26/2013, 04:08 AM
No...never.

Guntotn
11/26/2013, 06:33 AM
Well hopefully ill get to a point when it's just food, dosing, and salt, etc. I probably jumped into a tank too big and didn't realize how much it would cost. Maybe I should have stuck with my 55. At least I didn't go as big as I wanted or I would be bankrupt, lol. Good thing my wife is tolerant of me.

jerrodm
11/26/2013, 07:23 AM
yeah mine has been very tolerant also, now I'm in the process of convincing her that this dual carbon/gfo reactor will make things EVEN PRETTIER and cut down on algae growth etc

thegrun
11/26/2013, 08:32 AM
You do get to a point where you have all the equipment you want, so as long as you can resist upsizing your tank or adding another tank you do eventually stop needing to purchase new items.

Green Chromis
11/26/2013, 10:05 AM
:fish1:I love my setup but, I will be upgrading to a larger and hopefully open system in the near future. Need to find the right place to build the house first. :fish1:

HumbleFish
11/26/2013, 10:10 AM
It doesn't ever really stop... but it can be greatly reduced once you have all your core pieces of equipment in place and you are satisfied with what you have. But there's always going to be hype surrounding some new piece of "must have" equipment. You just gotta resist all that hype and take the "wait & see" approach. Unless you don't mind spending the money.

Guntotn
11/26/2013, 10:24 AM
It doesn't ever really stop... but it can be greatly reduced once you have all your core pieces of equipment in place and you are satisfied with what you have. But there's always going to be hype surrounding some new piece of "must have" equipment. You just gotta resist all that hype and take the "wait & see" approach. Unless you don't mind spending the money.

Well I think I'm getting close to having all the core pieces. But just stocking my tank is costing a small fortune. Starting to think that this is a rich man's hobby. I'm starting to get the whole patience thing. It's just hard to see those crazy nice coral tanks and not want to push the envelope.

HumbleFish
11/26/2013, 10:29 AM
Well I think I'm getting close to having all the core pieces. But just stocking my tank is costing a small fortune. Starting to think that this is a rich man's hobby. I'm starting to get the whole patience thing. It's just hard to see those crazy nice coral tanks and not want to push the envelope.

Buy frags instead of show size corals. It takes a little while but they will eventually grow into show size corals. ;)

Also, if there's a local online forum in your area... you can buy cheap frags that way from other members.

SGT_York
11/26/2013, 10:35 AM
To me it stopped when I realized I could have either the fish I wanted or the corals I wanted. Trying to have a fully stocked fish tank that grows SPS is an expensive venture, by just having fewer fish I'm feeding less which reduced nitrates/phosphates to an easily maintainable level which has made keeping SPS relativley easy.

I have a 120 with a PB tang, two clowns, two firefish, two chromis, a tailspot goby, mandarin, fire shrimp, diamond goby, and a foxface. Not a really light load, but the point to make is newbies try and make a great setup with tons of fish and are overwhelmed when their colors don't pop or their sps die.

To do a really bio heavy tank with SPS you need the expensive items.

Oh and probably the first two years are constant upgrading as you go through the initial learning curve.