PDA

View Full Version : Pet Owners

salty_firball
11/26/2013, 12:32 AM
Another question for everyone. How many reefers out there have dogs and cats?

Im looking at putting a glass lid over my 60 cube for 2 reasons, 1 the norm and stopping jumps but 2 to keep dog hair out of my tank as I cannot think that would be to good for the tank.

Problem is I have heard screens are so much better then glass lids so what do all you dog, cat and bird owners do out there?

LidoSoCal
11/26/2013, 12:51 AM
I have an english bulldog and i catch him staring at the tank sometimes but never any problems with hair. I do have a cover on my tank though

Nina51
11/26/2013, 06:12 AM
two great danes. no problems with hair in my tank, only the occasional glob of slobber i have to clean off the glass.

Almondsaz
11/26/2013, 06:20 AM
I have two scotties and a westie and the scotties shed quite a bit. I don't have a screen on my tank and have never had a problem with dog hair in the tank….mine do love to sit and look at the sump for some reason.

NTP66
11/26/2013, 06:53 AM
We have three cats - one being a longhair domestic that sheds like crazy - and I've never had any issues with fur winding up in my tank (I have mesh netting covers, which I would highly recommend). I don't think you have anything to worry about.

Meanmike
11/26/2013, 07:21 AM
My tanks are in the basement where the dogs aren't allowed.

shifty51008
11/26/2013, 07:30 AM
we have 4 pugs, but the tank is to tall for them, I maybe see a hair or 2 in the filter sock now and then but nothing to worry about.

Mazzy
11/26/2013, 07:38 AM
I do have a glass lid on my tank (and it doesn't have water in it yet) but I'm actually surprised others don't have issues with dog hair as my own gal's hair is literally all over the glass top every morning. Maybe different dog hair floats around the room better or maybe it's just our individual houses and the air circulation in them that causes more hair to fly around than in other homes??

I can tell you that my dog is a shepperd/rott mix, sheds ridiculously, and I have one of those floor air purifier things running all the time so that is blowing out air (and may contribute to blowing around dog hair even though it's also sucking it up). I've already seen a little bit of hair inside the tank while I've been building my hanging bar for my LEDs (the reason there's no water in the tank) and, as mentioned, there's always some amount of loose hairs on the top of the glass each morning.

So if you are seeing the same kind of thing from your dog's hair then I would put some kind of top on the tank. I don't think dog hair would do anything fatal to your tank but having a hair or two trapped on a piece of rock or coral will be unsightly and the whole reason we do this hobby is to look at the pretty picture we've created in our glass boxes, so hair floating around in there does not create a pretty picture.

thegrun
11/26/2013, 08:07 AM
I would use 1/4" clear bird screen set in a window screen frame rather than glass. You will get much better water/air exchange, better light penetration and not have to deal with constantly cleaning the glass.

Green Chromis
11/26/2013, 10:11 AM
:fish1: I have 2 English Golden Retrievers, both with long hair and never had a problem with hair in the display tank. :fish1:

MLS
11/26/2013, 10:17 AM
We have 2 LARGER dogs and 2 cats. Never had any problems with hair in the tank. The only mishap I had was one of the cats jumped on top of the light and spewed it dinner in the tank..... I will not go into the mess that created!

JRR1285
11/26/2013, 10:17 AM
We have 3 cats and a Husky. I find the odd hair in the sump area but nothing too concerning. No lid on the tank.

The cats were conditioned to stay away from the tank with a motion sensing "air blaster". It worked great and they don't go anywhere near the tank now. Dog doesn't even look at the tank.

3dees
11/26/2013, 11:02 AM
I have a cat and a yellow lab who always seems to be shedding. he could care less about the tank. I find a hair floating now and then but I don't think it would cause any problems.

Leanan
11/26/2013, 12:46 PM
JRR, I might have to steal your idea for training the cat to stay away from the tank... I'm hoping to have an open tank on my first reef set up, but I have an extremely curious cat and I'm afraid to think of what mischief he could get up to with the tank!

Guntotn
11/26/2013, 01:36 PM
2 labs and they don't bother it. I could see how a cat may be an issue maybe?

Fr0zEn4244
11/26/2013, 01:39 PM
I have a cane corso, I have seen hair in my tank every once in a while my tang just spits it back out.

I only see it during cleaning when I stick my hand in the tank. Again its very rare but I have not seen anything bad happen.

Reeferz412
11/26/2013, 02:24 PM
When I had a freshwater tank, the cat jumped once landed inside, and never did it again.

Chevrefils
11/26/2013, 04:40 PM
I have a great pyrnees. I might see the odd hair in my tank. Her hair is otherwise everywhere else.

JRR1285
11/26/2013, 05:44 PM
JRR, I might have to steal your idea for training the cat to stay away from the tank... I'm hoping to have an open tank on my first reef set up, but I have an extremely curious cat and I'm afraid to think of what mischief he could get up to with the tank!

It definitely worked well. I would also make sure there are no shelves or window sills near the tank if you can. Anything that can be a platform for them to vault up to the tank. I was worried they were going to jump onto my hanging light fixture at some point but they never tried. I now have a smaller fixture that I would be shocked if they tried it with.

reefguy24
11/26/2013, 06:04 PM
Two savannah cats. One of them 40lbs and smarter than any dog I have ever met.

He watches the tank when I watch the tank, but other than that he is smart enough to understand when the lid's closed, he can't get in, nor is he allowed to do so.

Crkbaby
11/26/2013, 06:52 PM
I have 4 cats and when they look at my 240 they just go forget that lol.

phillrodrigo
11/26/2013, 07:02 PM
I have a cane corso, I have seen hair in my tank every once in a while my tang just spits it back out.

I only see it during cleaning when I stick my hand in the tank. Again its very rare but I have not seen anything bad happen.

Do you have a blue cane corso cause I do and she is the greatest dog in the world. She looks like eeyore

Leanan
11/27/2013, 11:28 PM
It definitely worked well. I would also make sure there are no shelves or window sills near the tank if you can. Anything that can be a platform for them to vault up to the tank. I was worried they were going to jump onto my hanging light fixture at some point but they never tried. I now have a smaller fixture that I would be shocked if they tried it with.

Oh wow I hadn't even considered worrying about him jumping on the light fixture! I am definitely going to try to minimize the furniture around the tank because he loves to climb and I certainly don't trust him, haha. He's cute though, so I guess that makes up for it.

salty_firball
11/28/2013, 06:30 PM
great info. I will go with the screen then instead of glass lid.

athompson
11/28/2013, 07:04 PM
I have a Selkirk Rex cat that sheds like a persian and have 3 tanks. The 75 gallon is fresh and she ignores it, the 10 gallon nano is topless and she ignores it. The problem- of all things- is my 5 gallon betta. She is constantly after him. Swatting the tank. He's well protected so she can't get to him but sheesh. Never noticed any hair in any of my tanks.

Salty Dog24
11/28/2013, 09:04 PM
I have 2 weimeranners, and a jack russel. I find a little hair now and then in the tank, I just net it out.