PDA

View Full Version : Please help with pod identification in overflow

bigearsnyc
11/26/2013, 09:01 AM
Hello fellow aquarists,

A couple of weeks ago I noticed a couple of small aiptasia anemones growing in my DT. I bought a file fish to solve the problem but he apparently was not interested helping and refuse to eat the pests or any other food I provided. So, I tried to pluck them out by hand. I think I was successful with a few, but still see 1 or two sticking out from the cracks. During that process I found a group of egg like sacks under a small piece of new live rock - probably where my problem came from. I'm debating my solutions (pepermint shrimp, manual removal etc..) on the DT.

But today I noticed a bit of a bigger problem in my overflow. There are about 50 white pods growing on the walls and pipes. Does anyone know if this is aiptasia also? I placed my blue spotted puffer fish in the overflow for a test run. I read that they may or may not eat the nemes. If it is aiptasia, my plan is to drain the overflow and let them dry out.

I've had bad experiences with peppermint shrimp going after the CUC snails and also damaging various corals. I sometimes feed my coral mysis shrimp and the peps will attack the coral and pull the food out of the corals' mouth damaging the expensive coral in the process. Also, catching a pep shrimp for a removal is a major pain and disturbance to the tank.

What do you think???

thegrun
11/26/2013, 09:11 AM
They are pineapple sponges, beneficial filter feeders.

bigearsnyc
11/26/2013, 09:32 AM
Thanks Grun - that is a big help. I can now do my research. My tank is about 6-7mos old and I read that pineapple sponge grow in newer tanks so it make sense. Happy it is not aiptasia.

Best

Mark9
11/26/2013, 10:07 AM
I sometimes feed my coral mysis shrimp and the peps will attack the coral and pull the food out of the corals' mouth damaging the expensive coral in the process. Also, catching a pep shrimp for a removal is a major pain and disturbance to the tank.

What do you think???

I HATE when my pep takes the corals food, that's why i always feed him a big chunk of food first.
But catching him, easiest thing in the world.
Just attach a big chunk of food to a skewer or something, be ready with a net or container or something to catch him with in the other hand, lower the food into the tank, dangle it near him, draw him out, he will follow the food, nab him while he is fixated on the food.
These things are voracious eaters!

bigearsnyc
11/26/2013, 11:13 AM
there was no stopping my peps from harassing my corals. They would eat their share then pull the food out of my coral AFTER it was ingested. Thankfully my duncan survived but I lost a $45 plate coral because of this. I do realize the peps are just doing what nature intends for them to do.

Catching them was a challange and I did try everything including loading a net with shrimp - they would to to the outside of the net and pull the shrimp through it. I learned my lesson and think twice before introducing them into the DT again.