PDA

View Full Version : Fish behavior & analysis?

pktech
11/26/2013, 01:13 PM
I've got a fish that until recently hasn't eaten much (or in front of me at least). I added another smaller fish that willingly eats & eats in front of the other. Now, the fish that hasn't eaten much, eats with vigor & out of the water column as well.

What I've seen is that almost every time it grabs a Mysis, it appears to chew it & spit it out & swallows it . Then it shakes it's head rather violently. It does this about 3-4 times when I feed it & then saunters off & grazes like nothings going on.

Could this be a reaction similar to people having a strong drink & doing the head shake, eyes closed & tongue out? :lol:

Anyone know what I'm describing or seen this before? I find it interesting but many think I'm nuts, lol.

Rea17
11/26/2013, 01:54 PM
I've seen a regal angel behave this way when being weaned onto prepared foods. From what I've experienced and read, it's not uncommon as the angel is very used to a certain eating technique and the resulting flavor/texture. The fish is displaying a willingness to eat, but isn't fond of what you're feeding due to size, flavor, texture, or other potential factors.

pktech
11/26/2013, 04:50 PM
Thanks for the info Ami - I hope you're right. I thought it was going into a fit or something was lodged in it's mouth. I'll try to remember to chop the Mysis more before I feed her.

Mrscribbled
11/26/2013, 05:29 PM
My venestus used to do this also. Now he eats pellets at the suface.

pktech
11/26/2013, 09:31 PM
Cool - thanks Josh - Love your setup by the way.

Mrscribbled
11/26/2013, 11:20 PM
Thanks, its a work in progress!