PDA

View Full Version : Bad luck with royal grammas

Jmills77
11/26/2013, 02:30 PM
This is my first post here and I know there are knowledgeable members here

I've had my 29 gallon reef tank for a month and a half and had a bit of bad luck with royal grammas.

The tank has 35 lbs of live rock, fluval led lighting that is working fine along with a marine land filter with some live rock and polishing pad in it, an eheim heater, hydor powerhead, and live sand.

The nitrates, phosphates, nitrites and ammonia are reading at zero with my API test kit, ph is 8.2 and alkalinity is optimal.

Other inhabitants are an ocellaris clown, pajama cardinal, tail spot blenny, a chalk bass, porcelain crab, emerald crab, snails and hermits.

My corals are a frogspawn, a zoa/play combo frag, zoa frag, 2 acanthastrea, and green disco soma mushrooms,

Water changes are done monthly

Now to the problem, my first gramma was good for a week eating and swimming a little shy yes but otherwise fine. I had one bad water change (too cold) and he got ich. I started treating with Exodin which was recommended by my lfs ! Absolutely fish to be reef safe and effective at treating ich. I dosed for about 4 days and at the start of dosing it seemed to stress him out more and on the fifth day I found him dead. He never fought with any of the other fish. And was eating fine.

I waited two more weeks and acquired an ocellaris clown and later on I got the second gramma along with a chalk bass.

For the firs few days he was fine, eating and all. 5 days later i checked the tank at night and he had ich and I appropriately started dosing with the exodin again and again it stressed him out further he was hiding all the time and not eating.

Two days later the ich was gone and he then caught a case of cloudy eye so I set up a QT tank and started using melafix. This was yesterday this morning he was dead.

Is there something I'm doing wrong? I hear that these fish are supposed to be hardy but so far I don't believe it. Anyone have this problem before? Any info would be appreciated