PDA

View Full Version : Think I need more filtration

steve76s
11/26/2013, 09:11 PM
My setup is a 130gl half cylinder with a built on the back sump. I have about 140 lbs live rock, 4" sand bed, cheato with live rock rubble in one chamber and live rock rubble on the second and a deltec mce600 skimmer. Tank has been running for about 3 months now but the water isn't as clear as it should be. My question is, do you think the biological filtration will pick up enough to handle this or should I add a reactor filled with carbon? I have good flow, water chemistry is near perfect with exception to my Hanna phosphate checker reading at .15 which I need to recheck because I tested 5 minutes after feeding so I doubt it's accurate. Let me know what you think?

Duvallj
11/28/2013, 06:32 PM
I would try filter floss or a filter sock. Carbon will help clear out water, especially color but won't pick up any particulate matter.

The live rock in your tank should be enough for biological filtration. The protein skimmer also helps.

Also I would check that phosphate reading. A tank 3 months old could have high phosphates residual from the initial cycle/die off.