PDA

View Full Version : Breeding Rack - input please!

hopaddict
11/27/2013, 02:56 PM
I am looking for some feedback on the design of my clownfish breeding rack to be built out of 2x4s. It will be 85" long and 24" deep. The top shelf is 58" from the ground. I will have 10gal tanks along the top. I am leaving the lower shelf empty for now and may expand it later with some more 10gal tanks on the right (or perhaps 20gal tanks as in the image). I will likely leave the left-hand side of the lower shelf open for overflow of fry tanks from another rack.

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/150x100q90/c/571/735e.jpg (http://imageshack.com/i/fv735ej)

The eight 10gal tanks on the top shelf will be drilled for drains at the front. A 1" bulkhead will run into a 2" drain to the sump. The sump will be a 75gal tank with a refugium and protein skimmer. The return plumbing will be 3/4" running up the back with valves to control flow to the tanks. I might slide the sump out to one side to make room for the protein skimmer depending upon its height.

So the system volume will be at most (8 x 10) + 75 = 155gal. With the three 20gal tanks it would be about 215gal.

Any protein skimmer recommendations? I was thinking something rated for about 150gal should be sufficient?

How about a return pump? What type of flow should I aim for? Most similar systems I have seen rely on the sump return for flow without any internal powerheads. Anybody using powerheads or air to move water? How does 10x tank turnover per hour sound?

Any other constructive criticism is appreciated!

_shorty_
11/29/2013, 09:56 PM
I'd make sure you have plenty of room for access to each tank including the sump. As it's drawn, access to sump looks limited. Also 80 gal span across 2x4s... Personally, id probably make headers out of them (double them up with plywood in between) and/or add at least one across the middle.

woods4542000
01/10/2014, 08:24 AM
Definitely make sure you have plenty of room for cleaning tanks , and accessing sump, with constant cleaning from heavy feeding its very important. As for skimmer I would go bigger with the added Bio load of heavy feedings.

frizzo98
01/27/2014, 08:21 PM
262823This was my plan for my system once get my breeding project started. The top is brood stock that have their own sump the middle is grow out with the other sump and the bottom row is the two sumps.

brad_G
01/29/2014, 11:18 PM
I'd make sure you have plenty of room for access to each tank including the sump. As it's drawn, access to sump looks limited. Also 80 gal span across 2x4s... Personally, id probably make headers out of them (double them up with plywood in between) and/or add at least one across the middle.

It never hurts to over build! I will say that 2 16 ft 2*4 with a strip of 3/8 OSB will hold 2 220+ men spanning maybe 10-12ft! Its still a little iffy when your 30 feet up! The quality of lumber plays a huge factor. I had a 2*6*12 break with about 250 lbs load because of a knot! Luckily it was only 8 ft up.

Anyways just build it stouter than you think! Oh and if you planned on using any type of plywood I would recommend advantec. Good stuff with a 50 year warranty.