PDA

View Full Version : return pump and powerhead - thoughts requested

rmsmith
11/27/2013, 08:31 PM
So I'm slowly working to acquire all the gear for a 29g tank. Have the tank, heater, ro/di and a few other things.

With black friday and cyber monday deals heating up I'm looking to make a push for the rest of the needed gear.

Here's what I'm thinking for flow and circulation.

Eheim 1250 for the return, I figure with the head height, a gate value in case I need to dial it back and maybe a union or two I'll drop to 140-150 gph, possibly a little less which will be a 6-7 per hour turnover after account for rock water displacement. Plan to mainly plumb with braided tubing.

Powerhead - going to take advantage of the ecotech 20% rebate and am thinking an MP10. Anyone think two of those would be a good idea for a mushroom and softy tank? Or will one be good to go? searching around hasn't given me a good feel for this one so I figured I would seek the latest and greatest ideas!

thanks
Robert

Craigdillman
11/27/2013, 09:08 PM
mp 10 is a great idea love that pump i had one in my 29 when i had it, I used the blue short pulse wave modes and it works perfect for a gental sway for any tank

rmsmith
11/28/2013, 10:39 AM
great, thanks for your thoughts. I'll go with one MP 10 to start with.

Misled
11/28/2013, 10:46 AM
One will be enough in a tank that size.

spit.fire
11/28/2013, 01:09 PM
Have you thought about using a dc pump for the return? I put a speedwave dc return on my cube tank and love the thing, easy to dial down and quietest pump I've ever owned

rmsmith
11/28/2013, 01:43 PM
can't say I've really looked into DC pumps, but if they are really quiet that's a plus as the tank will be on my home office where I sit at a desk on the phone for 8-10 hours a day.

Are they controllable by Apex as I'll be ordering up a controller tomorrow as well.