PDA

View Full Version : Dipping protocol

meshwheel
11/28/2013, 10:30 AM
Hi guys,
I am getting ready to add the live rock to my new 65 gallon tank build:celeb1:
It's going to be SPS lit with one Photon32 led fixture. My question pertains to keep red bug and other annoying critters out of my tank or off my SPS frags.
Whats the best dip to use for the frags? Am I better to quarantine them first, then dip them after they look strong?
Or can they be dipped right out of the bag if purchased locally?
Also, how is the Coral Revive dip? What do you guys recommend?
Thanks!:beer:

scottwhitson
11/28/2013, 10:45 AM
I STRONGLY suggest you QT them for a minimum of 4 weeks with weekly dips. It is very easy to miss a couple of red bugs or AEFWs and then you have a mess on your hand. You know that you don't have any pests now it is best to take a little extra precaution and avoid them completely. Do some research on Bayer insecticide it is a pretty good dip.

meshwheel
11/28/2013, 11:31 AM
Hi scott,
Thanks for the input and help! just wondering where I can quarantine them?? I guess I need to set up another tank. Maybe a tank with incoming tank water then water exiting though a UV unit?
Thank you

Allmost
11/28/2013, 11:40 AM
a coral QT can be light, tank, power head, skimmer. and dosing to keep Kh and CA++ stable,. thats it.

or skip dosing and skimmer and replace with daily or every other day WC.

meshwheel
11/28/2013, 11:52 AM
Allmost,
Thank you! Yes, I know the drill. It's just extra work, but should save heartache later on down the line. I know this all too well.
i will pick up a bottle of Bayer on a Lowe's run. Need a few things anyway! Seems a 15 minute dip with it mixxed with tank water will really help as well.
Anyone having success just dipping?
Thanks!