PDA

View Full Version : Canthigaster papua care

Moort82
11/29/2013, 04:04 PM
Does anyone have any experience with this species? I'm guessing it is very similar to the other members of the genus and therefore not something to be mixed with motile inverts but probably fine with other fish providing your sensible about it.
The possible tank wouldn't be a reef, more a refugium display but there are a couple of big serpent stars which i guess might be tasted?

TIA

hossa81
11/29/2013, 05:59 PM
I dong have experience, but from what i have heard about sharpnose puffers, which im almost certain it is, they are very prone to nipping at everything, fish and the rest.

NTP66
11/29/2013, 07:26 PM
My c. papua has largely ignored the inverts in my tank, outside of the occasional investigating. I don't have any stars in the tank, though, so I can't help you there. The biggest issue I have with him is that he sometimes bothers my rectangle trigger, probably due to his shape. Never lasts long, though, as the trigger rules the tank.

Moort82
12/04/2013, 04:20 AM
Thanks. I'd have never thought it would try it on with a trigger so perhaps not as docile as i would like. Are they a similar size?
I've had to move a pair of baby clowns into the tank so i don't think it would be wise to mix them at the moment. It is in with a shoal of bangaii's at the shop and doesn't appear interested in them at all, so it might work but i'm not sure its worth the risk until the clowns move on.

hkarmy25
12/04/2013, 04:55 AM
Never had one personally, but My experience with them at the shop is that they have to sample EVERYTHING. Wouldn't say it's agression, more of curiosity. No agression seen after initial nip.

NTP66
12/04/2013, 05:09 AM
The puffer is slightly larger than the trigger, which I believe is why he annoys him (along with the similar shape). I'd agree with what hk says above about their nipping being more of curiosity than aggression.