PDA

View Full Version : Alternate way to adhere LEDS

biglurr54
11/29/2013, 05:18 PM
Necessity is the mother of invention...

I had some cheap leds that are old that I dont care about laying around. I wanted to get some light on my tank while it cycles and I design the new light and order the new leds. I didnt any anything to adhere the leds to the heat sink with and didnt feel like drilling and tapping the heat sink. I got some thermal grease from radio shack and some 2 min cure epoxy from home depot. I put a light dab of the grease on the middle of the star and a small dab of mixed epoxy on the edge of three tabs of the star. I then stuck it in place and twisted back and forth lightly. I had to remove on because it shorted out (not due to heat) and it seemed to take a little to pop off but not as much as thermal epoxy. The grease seemed to be working like it should. The light has been working fine for the last 2 weeks and the heat sink is just as warm as the led stars.

I think I may go this route for the new leds. I have everything already and it seems to work well and its easier to remove/replace/rearrange the leds because they dont have as much epoxy. Any thoughts?

Duvallj
11/29/2013, 07:19 PM
As long as it works. I would just keep an eye on long term adhesion. If it doesn't go anywhere and the led's are properly cooled then it sounds like a good idea.

hllywd
11/30/2013, 07:53 AM
It sounds like a lot of extra work for a method that may not perform as well. Did it work in a pinch? Sure, but dabbing two different products on the back of new LEDs, and hoping for the best doesn't seem to be a revolutionary way to build a new fixture. Thermal adhesive, or pads are cheap, and proven, why mess with the makeshift, two-step method?

Theokie
11/30/2013, 09:41 AM
I've been using thermal adhesive tape, Shin-Itsu, I believe, I have had it holding LEDs running at 1.8 amp for almost three years. It's great stuff no mess and fast install. It's the same type of material many sellers sell as pre cut, for star boards but in bulk strips on ebay it's really cheap.

I know it's not commenting on how you did it, but it's a good way to do a quick fast fixture when needed in a pinch

mcgyvr
11/30/2013, 10:14 AM
obviously epoxy with no thermal modifiers is not very thermally conductive at all..
A few dollars saved might equal a drastic reduction in lifespan of the LED..
Your choice though..