PDA

View Full Version : Installing 1" SQWD into 1.5" Return Pipe; Go Back Up to 1.5" After SQWD.

GroktheCube
11/29/2013, 09:19 PM
I'm in the process of replumbing my 120 with a 12,000lph Jebao DC pump that will serve as a return, and run all my reactors and such off of a manifold. I'm also planning on installing a SQWD in the return line.

The Jebao has a 1.5" output, so I will be running 1.5" pipe up until the SQWD, which has 1" FPT in/out.

Would it be worth it to step back up to 1.5" after the SQWD? The pipe afterwards will include about 6" of height, 3 90* elbows, and 3 45* elbows.

I'm not sure if the added turbulence caused by the transition would cost more flow than the extra pipe diameter would gain.

FullBoreReefer
11/29/2013, 11:33 PM
I would say you've already created a restriction so I'd save the few bucks and keep it 1". At least that's what I would probably do.

uncleof6
11/30/2013, 11:56 AM
The SQWD is what is not worth it. All it will do is cause a restriction, and slow the entire flow down. That has a negative impact on the system as a whole. Going back up to 1.5" will not recover the flow loss either. SQWDs, other similar devices, as well as robo-fittings, are nothing but toys to entertain folks...

GroktheCube
11/30/2013, 12:35 PM
The pump is dramatically overpowered for the size of my tank/drain, moving more than double what it can handle running at full speed. I figured the trade off of lost throughput for a more desirable flow pattern would be worth it, given that even with the restriction, I likely won't be able to run the pump at full power.

Is my thinking wrong?

mcgyvr
11/30/2013, 03:15 PM
Is it the perfect setup..no but who cares.. it should work out just fine.
Thats plenty pump to loose a bit here/there.. and your reactors/manifold will eat up plenty of flow too..

But yes obviously the best setup would be to use the properly size pump and have zero restrictions.. but if you already have the stuff.. go for it.

Apotack
12/01/2013, 10:07 AM
The large sqwd is great, works well, completely quiet. Going back to larger pipe after is not necessary but will not cause any problems. Might actually slow the velocity down a bit if that's what you r looking for