PDA

View Full Version : Which Host Nems Tend to Move the Least?

GroktheCube
11/29/2013, 09:41 PM
I have a nice flat ~15"x15" rock shelf in my 120 that I've been saving for a host anemone. My tank has been running for 10 months, and it may be a couple more before I add the anemone. It gets moderate light, being about 15" below the surface, centered almost directly below my 4 bulb ATI T5, and catching light from both of my buildmyled strips.

It's semi-sheltered from flow, getting a fair amount of indirect, turbulent, intermittent flow.

Overall, I think it's a pretty good spot for most rock dwelling nems. There is also a nice deep ~8" across sandy area right against the flat surface, bordered by rock on all sides, if a sand dweller ends up being a better fit.

Which host anemones tend to stay put once they're placed in a suitable location the tank?

CIGARSC351W
11/29/2013, 10:06 PM
I've had a blue carpet for about a year now. It has never moved from where I placed it.
It's probably $&!? luck thou.

Dog boy Dave
12/01/2013, 12:27 PM
Haddoni tend to stay in place after they settle down BUT they want to be in your sandbed. They would not be happy nor would they settle long term on a flat rock.

GroktheCube
12/01/2013, 03:20 PM
Thanks guys. Do rock dwelling nems like BTAs generally move more?

Dog boy Dave
12/01/2013, 04:42 PM
BTA's may stay in one place for years but they almost always split and move eventually.

Habu
12/02/2013, 02:45 PM
BTA's like to be able to hide their foot in a rock crevice to protect it. Not sure if it will stay on a flat rock or not.

D-Nak
12/02/2013, 03:58 PM
IME gigantea rarely move once they are happy. They tend to be rock dwellers and fall somewhere in between BTAs and magnifica in terms of how they like their foot attached to the rock -- mags like to spread their foot out on the surface of a flat rock like a fried egg, while BTAs like their foot completely buried. My gigs like their foot inside a rock, but not deeply hidden like a BTA.

If you plan to get one, definitely search for a healthy one and read up on Cipro. They're one of the toughest nems to acclimate, but once you've gone past the three month mark or so, they're relatively bullet proof.

GroktheCube
12/02/2013, 08:19 PM
Thanks for the advice. It's not a smooth flat piece, it's Marco rock with a few deep crevices.

My biggest concern with a gig would be my fish getting esten. How good are clowns at keeping suicidal fish out of their nem?

reefguy24
12/02/2013, 10:33 PM
My haitain anemone moves around so much that I scooped him out of the tank today and took him to the post office to get his passport picture taken.