PDA

View Full Version : Diatom algae in new tank... How to remove?

jsncrs
11/30/2013, 02:29 AM
Hey guys, I'm a newbie to marine tanks and set up up my new 200L with live rock almost a month ago. Set up is as follows:

Eheim classic 600 canister filter
Tunze comline 9004 protein skimmer
UV sterilizer
Aqua one wave maker
2 x 150w heaters
4 x 54w 4ft T5 lights on 10 hour cycle

About two weeks after adding the live rock I noticed some diatom algae which has progressively become worse. The sand is stained brown like dirt and the glass is covered in green. I've manually cleaned the tank but it keeps returning. Can someone walk me through how to remove the algae? What have I missed?

Denbf58
11/30/2013, 06:43 AM
normal part of the cycle. did you use ro/di water when setting up or did you use tap water do you have live stock in the tank if so what if there are no corals cut your light cycle down you can even go lights out for 3 three days [welcome]

Saltliquid
11/30/2013, 06:52 AM
Its normal, just Wait.
Diatoms rely on nutrients and silica,silca will run down a bit and once tank is matured then you need to control nutrients,for now it's all natural and very normal!
GFH used later on once you have attained maturity will reduce nutrient phos and silica starving out both algae types with in reason.

jsncrs
11/30/2013, 04:48 PM
Thanks guys, we're on tank water here so no tap water was used. I gave everything a good clean last night so we will see how it goes.