PDA

View Full Version : Ich under hypo

11/30/2013, 02:47 PM
Hi,

My dt is fishless since august. I keeping my fish in hypo(1.009) since then in qt. Three week ago I had new fish and now I have another ich outbreak in the qt still under hypo. Did you have any advice?

Fish are

Yellow belly hippo
Atlantic tang
Purple tang
Blue throat trigger
Occelaris
Flame hawkfish
Green mandarin
Spotted mandarin

Thanks for your help

MBC2012
11/30/2013, 02:57 PM
What size tank? How often are you feeding. Is there plenty of offering during the day to graze? You said QT...are your currently treating?..who is the aggressor?
Do you have rock or pvc for hidding?....what are your levels.
Need .more info

MrTuskfish
11/30/2013, 03:08 PM
If you added a fish to the tank that was undergoing, the clock starts on day one. I wouldn't think of adding fish until the ich has been completely treated (6+ weeks hypo, IMO) and the DT was fishless for 10+ weeks. That's 6 weeks of hypo starting on the day you added a fish. Why has the DT been fishless for so long? Did you delay treatment or was hypo just not working. Of course, if you've added more fish to the QT, that would explain it.

11/30/2013, 03:16 PM
QT is 40g breeder every fish is about 1'' to 1''1/2. Nitrate level are always below 5ppm. 40-50% weekly water change. DT is 180g fishless for about 4 month. I'm still in hypo in the QT but ich came back after the intro of new fish since about 2-3 weeks. In the qt I have PVC pipe and few Marco rock.

MrTuskfish
12/01/2013, 10:16 AM
Just to save you a little time & money: There is no reason to test nitrate in a QT. Nitrate is an enemy of corals and other inverts, but harmless to fish. Many fish-only tanks are kept for years with nitrate at 60+ppm.

12/01/2013, 01:59 PM
I just want to monitor the nitrate level in order to give to best water quality possible.

Did you have any idea wy is so long before the ich get out?

xanthurum
12/01/2013, 02:56 PM
Ich life cycle is why it takes so long

hogfanreefer
12/01/2013, 03:02 PM
Ich life cycle is why it takes so long

4 months?

Have you been treating with hypo for 4 months? Do you have a refractometer or are you using a hydrometer? Do you have an ATO on the QT? How are you monitoring the salinity in QT?

Something is not right here. If you have truly been in hyposalinity for this long I'd treat with copper!

I wouldn't add any more fish until you have all your current fish well and back in the DT.

12/01/2013, 06:31 PM
Yes I'm under hypo for 4 month. Everybody was fine until my last addition about three week ago. Since then ich is there.

Mrscribbled
12/01/2013, 10:48 PM
Regardless of adding a new fish to a hypo QT, it still should not have showed up on the previous residents. IMO either the s.g. is not low enough, your actually dealing with velvet, or a resistant strain of ich.

snorvich
12/02/2013, 02:33 PM
Regardless of adding a new fish to a hypo QT, it still should not have showed up on the previous residents. IMO either the s.g. is not low enough, your actually dealing with velvet, or a resistant strain of ich.

The time line for the progression of amyloodinium is very quick. It is unlikely that it is velvet unless the new fish came from an LFS that runs a low level less than therapeutic dose of copper. (That can temporarily mask velvet). More likely the new fish had cryptocaryon irritans and introduced it into the quarantine tank. Holding 1.009 for any significant length of time is difficult at best, impossible at worst.