PDA

View Full Version : QT is driving me insane!

stlcards14
11/30/2013, 07:13 PM
This isn't the first time but I will explain my current situation in the hope that anyone can help me.

I currently have two wrasses in QT. I start all my fish off with the tank transfer method. When I got the fish from the store I acclimated them for about 2 hours and tested to make sure PH and salinity were the same before putting them in. I tested PH that night before going to bed and it was slightly low. About 7.9 so I added a little buffer and went to bed. I woke up and tested again. PH is still a little low and added a little more buffer. Both fish were swimming and eating fine. I just came into my garage to check on them ( I do about 5 times a day) and now one of them is on it's side breathing heavily and practically struggling for life. I honestly don't know what more I can do? I know not to raise PH fast so i only add a little buffer in the morning and at night since it seems I can never keep the PH exactly where I want it. The temp is sitting at 78 and there is zero ammonia. I have a power head pointed directly at the surface for oxygen.

Please help before I lose yet another fish

The Plummer
11/30/2013, 07:46 PM
Not sure why your having trouble, I've yet to having anything but complete success with TTM.

Are you making fresh saltwater, or are you doing what I do, I remove 5 gal. Of water from my DT for the TTM water? I then replace the water in the DT with fresh saltwater.

That way my fish are automatically acclimated to my DT.

By the way, I see your name indicates that you might be from the STL area, I'm near there myself. If you desire send me a private message, and I'll contact you directly.

Good luck.

Newsmyrna80
11/30/2013, 08:10 PM
How much was the pH after the fish was breathing hard? How us the fishes' color and how is he eating?

stlcards14
11/30/2013, 08:31 PM
He was eating quite well yesterday. PH goes up about .1 and his color was still good. Unfortunately I just pulled his now dead body out....but I still need to know what is causing my problem. I have a separate QT with fire fish and I'm using the same method and so far so good. My fear is they die at a moments notice. A few weeks ago I had the same kind of wrasse and a hog fish do well in QT for 2 weeks and right on the last day they both started breathing heavy and both died within the day with no sines as to why. I tested the water then and it was spot on yet no luck.

stlcards14
12/01/2013, 01:33 AM
Can I store old saltwater from my display tank during water changes and use that for TT? Doing a water change on my display every three days for the transfers seems a little tedious thus the need to store the water. I don't know if this will even help my PH problem but I'm open for suggestions.

supra400hptt
12/01/2013, 06:18 AM
I'd stop chasing pH. 7.9 is not a problem in my opinion. Adding buffer to a small amount of water is risky. You could use tank water, I always make fresh though. I do the transfer in 5 gallon buckets. 6 transfers spaced 48 hrs apart= 35 gallons total then into a quarantine tank for observation and prazipro for two weeks.

Spar
12/01/2013, 08:31 AM
You could store tank water but only if (1) you aren't talking about the gunky stuff siphoned from the bottom and (2) you keep the water circulated... however best to just use water straight from the DT or mixing new water.

I prefer using water direct from my DT for the reasons noted above of already having the QT and DT water chem matched for easy entrance of the fish to the DT later. Your DT will love the 'tedious' additional water changes.

I had only bad luck with Hypo and Copper but have had 100% success with TTM.

As said above, don't chase pH.

Are you using an airstone/pump or powerhead for air circ?

stlcards14
12/01/2013, 12:20 PM
I use a power head pointed directly at the surface

stlcards14
12/01/2013, 12:22 PM
When I'm talking about storing it I mean for a week max by the way not very long

Spar
12/01/2013, 01:09 PM
I use a power head pointed directly at the surface

As mentioned in other post try out airpump and airstone instead of the powerhead. Is more gentle on them too.

stlcards14
12/02/2013, 11:22 PM
So I went to my LFS and the guy working told me to watch my KH and that should fix the PH inconsistency

caribfan
12/03/2013, 11:24 AM
Just a thought, but did you say you start out immediately with the TTM, or do you give the fish some time to get used to your tank. If there is no sign of disease, it might be worth it to give your new fish a week or two to get acclimated to your tank before starting the TTM.

Spar
12/04/2013, 08:07 AM
So I went to my LFS and the guy working told me to watch my KH and that should fix the PH inconsistency

Sort of correct. Yes you should monitor KH to ensure is consistent, but not for the purpose of ensuring pH consistency. KH is all that matters, not pH (hence recommending not to chase pH). pH will still sway up and down depending on atmospheric CO2, decaying matter in the tank, etc (other acids).

Try to keep KH between 8 and 10 dKH and then keep it consistent at whatever you choose. May be easiest to just try to maintain KH at whatever your salinity mix is.

You can dose baking soda or soda ash to keep it consistent, you just need to figure out what your natural daily KH loss is and ensure you are adding the correct amount of soda ash each day (or throughout the day to be easier on the fish). However, in a TTM where you have nothing intaking carbonates, like coral, your loss will be extremely low, especially within that 2-3 day period between 100% water changes.

stlcards14
12/04/2013, 09:04 AM
What was odd is that I tested KH on one of the tanks and it was at 21. I have no idea how that was even possible. I tested with a brand new Ellos test. Total of 42 drops and each drop is .5. I tested my display with the same test and got 8.5 so I know it's accurate.