PDA

View Full Version : no panic plz my new mag

M Woodhill
11/30/2013, 07:37 PM
ok, the tank is only like a month new but everythin is in check i run a zeo system which the manual says, will be cycled in 14 days

i dumped in some very sensitive sps's and they r doin fine. ok, who am i kiddin, i know theres the 6 month rule and was doin research on a reliable source to get one from. but this cutie just jumped into my eyes. btw, in lfs' tank it wont survive long--the other one below it has already melted

so i got it home and ill be doin my best to keep everythin stable

finger cross me, plz dude. a pic with flash. i shut down the lights to acclimate it

http://i1109.photobucket.com/albums/h436/mcwoodhill/tksgiving-2013/tksritteri_zpsd14a4b2a.jpg

jwoyshnar
12/01/2013, 07:58 AM
You are going to get flamed for only waiting a month.

M Woodhill
12/01/2013, 08:29 AM
You are going to get flamed for only waiting a month.

i used to have a healthy gig from a reefer. it either went into my tank or wouldve been flushed in a potty

it survived till i left beijing and shut down the system

given da thought gigs as delicate as ritteri, i have some confidence in keep goin

Reef1589
12/01/2013, 12:25 PM
ive done it before.. in fact my Purple S. Gig.. that I still have.. (almost 2 years) was at a LFS where I knew it wasn't gonna live, I purchased it, and threw it in a tank that had only been setup for 1-2 months.. this was before Cipro was here.. (now im not saying hey everyone run out go buy anemones and throw them in your new tank!!! )

but I think a lot of people don't give anemone's credit and just think they are this fragile animal, and yea I agree they are fragile to an extant, but my S. Gig's and Haddoni's have been through some rough times in the past 2 years.. High Alk Swings, Temp Spikes, Dirty Water ( left town for 2 1/2 weeks to help with hurricane sandy) these creatures can actually take a punch.. and get back up...

again, im not saying hey every newbie reefer come get your anemone and mistreat it..
I myself try to provide the best environment for all my anemones

And back on topic, looks like itll be a nice Mag :)

M Woodhill
12/01/2013, 04:32 PM
ive done it before.. in fact my Purple S. Gig.. that I still have.. (almost 2 years) was at a LFS where I knew it wasn't gonna live, I purchased it, and threw it in a tank that had only been setup for 1-2 months.. this was before Cipro was here.. (now im not saying hey everyone run out go buy anemones and throw them in your new tank!!! )

but I think a lot of people don't give anemone's credit and just think they are this fragile animal, and yea I agree they are fragile to an extant, but my S. Gig's and Haddoni's have been through some rough times in the past 2 years.. High Alk Swings, Temp Spikes, Dirty Water ( left town for 2 1/2 weeks to help with hurricane sandy) these creatures can actually take a punch.. and get back up...

again, im not saying hey every newbie reefer come get your anemone and mistreat it..
I myself try to provide the best environment for all my anemones

And back on topic, looks like itll be a nice Mag :)

it is, just finger cross myself--shall i say go to the church next sunday? guess the father will be shocked to see my presence:p

M Woodhill
12/05/2013, 07:42 PM
ok, mix news for the mag:

insofar no dreaded cycle of deflation n inflation

http://i1109.photobucket.com/albums/h436/mcwoodhill/magnificent%20anemone/dec052013ritteri1_zps41e25091.jpg

its mouth basically remains tight

http://i1109.photobucket.com/albums/h436/mcwoodhill/magnificent%20anemone/dec52013ritteri_zps5f7e0cf8.jpg

a bit concern

i got a pair of black footed clownfish, but they have yet to host. my first time to deal with bfc. when i was havin ocellaris, they always dived in

http://i1109.photobucket.com/albums/h436/mcwoodhill/magnificent%20anemone/dec052013bfc_zps1c738c59.jpg

the algae finally gets to bleach and vanish

http://i1109.photobucket.com/albums/h436/mcwoodhill/magnificent%20anemone/dec052013bfc1_zps58b884b3.jpg

so any facility in the us tank breed bcc? imo if they r tank bred, it may take a while. but i'm quite sure bfc's only host is magnificent anemone, huh?

Reefvette
12/06/2013, 08:44 AM
Nigripis will host alot btas ltas mags

Sustainable aquatics breeds nigripes clowns.

M Woodhill
12/06/2013, 03:06 PM
Nigripis will host alot btas ltas mags

Sustainable aquatics breeds nigripes clowns.

so the pair are probably tank bred and habitually host a side glass? they r now hosting at a side glass, given no **** to the mag

:(

guess i gotta return to my ocellaris-maginificent combo? feelin quite tired of repeatin it. wanna try some new clowns

Reefvette
12/06/2013, 03:08 PM
Maybe I saw some wild caught ones a couple weeks ago in the ny nj area.

It may just take some time but they will

Pez68
12/06/2013, 11:39 PM
Tank raised or caught in the wild, I really don't think it matters... The clowns will take to whatever host they feel like. With no natural predators... they really have no need to take up shelter in an anemone.

Ron Popeil
12/07/2013, 11:44 AM
i like everything about this combination.

M Woodhill
12/07/2013, 01:00 PM
i like everything about this combination.

lol, only after they mingle in :)

one bfc sometimes hovers above the mag but seems afraid to dive in. very interestin to c this. my 1st time to observe the fear of a memo to dive in a nem

M Woodhill
12/07/2013, 10:08 PM
its getting greener

and its light shield has been removed for the 1st day

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mnlfSAvQlZc&feature=youtu.be

how to insert the video in?

madweazl
12/07/2013, 11:51 PM
I think the experience level of the person with the tank is more important than whether or not a tank has been setup for 6-12 months. I've "rescued" a couple over the years including a sebae that is currently in a tank that has only been up for about 3 weeks but it's far better than the cesspool it was living in at the LFS. That being said, it has live rock directly out of the ocean and NSW so it's a lot different than the typical new tank.

M Woodhill
12/08/2013, 12:14 AM
I'm still working on luring the two into the mag

i don't know why but its really odd clownfish won't host their natural anemone

twiggyb
12/08/2013, 12:47 AM
It took my occys six months to finally make the move from some frilly mushrooms, to the mag.

M Woodhill
12/08/2013, 08:35 AM
It took my occys six months to finally make the move from some frilly mushrooms, to the mag.

Mine always dived in. Don't know why the mag preferred to stand in between the big y. I put it on a big flat rock but it slipped itself onto between that big y tonga branches

Except for bfc hosting it, he other biggest concern of mine is how it anchors it's big foot onto the think branches

Hopefully it won't float up one day

M Woodhill
12/10/2013, 10:54 PM
Darn, even my juvenile banggai starts to take the mag as shelter while the bfc pair occasionally pass by the mag, shunning it away. They still host a corner of my overflow box

Basically I'm givin upon em. Any neat tricks to catch em? Will trade em back to the store for some pink skunks

twiggyb
12/11/2013, 10:29 PM
You should give it time, you're rushing into this pretty quick. I'm sure they'll go to it in time.

Beandawg
12/11/2013, 11:02 PM
mnlfSAvQlZc

M Woodhill quote this post, you'll see what I did.

M Woodhill
12/12/2013, 08:08 PM
mnlfSAvQlZc

M Woodhill quote this post, you'll see what I did.

Got the trick, thanks. I'm now at edge, lol, my patience is wanin reversely with my increasin impulse to harpoon em :-)