PDA

View Full Version : overdose on mag - what now?

tthnow
12/01/2013, 11:33 PM
Red sea sucks....I may have over 2000 ppm. Fish not eating and doing much. Not active as they use to be.

triggreef
12/01/2013, 11:50 PM
Mag shouldn't really have much effect. Many dose kent tech m in attempt to get rid of algae and target over 1800. I would look else where if there is trouble with something.

tthnow
12/01/2013, 11:52 PM
I just checked my salt content.....its sky rocketed to to .32!

Maxxumless
12/02/2013, 01:41 AM
The first step is to test pH, Dkh, Ca, Mg, and salinity with a calibrated refractometer. You need to be absolutely sure what your levels are before you correct this problem. It takes a while for the buffering regiment to raise salinity, and even then, regular water changes usually fix this problem. After you post your levels, steps can be taken to correct your chemical woes.

bnumair
12/02/2013, 02:28 AM
mag at 2000 is not going to have any ill effects. as experiment i have kept a reef at 2300 with no ill effects. salinity on other hand is a problem it its climbed to 1.032. water changes...

Palting
12/02/2013, 09:07 AM
I just checked my salt content.....its sky rocketed to to .32!

That would explain all your problems, from the mag being too high and the fish being listless. I have a feeling you either had significant evaporation or a mistake in checking salinity. If it's the former, just slowly add RODI to get it back down to 1.026. Fish don't care about dropping salinity quickly, unlike raising it. If it's the latter, double check whatever intrument you are using to check salinity, or you can get a refractometer.

If it's significant evaporation, you have to make sure it does not happen again. First, get the salinity where you want it. Then, if you have a sump, mark the water level you want at the return section of the sump, and add RODI water daily to keep it at that level. If you do not have a sump, mark the water level you want at your DT and add water daily to keep it there. Or, you can get an ATO.