PDA

View Full Version : Hanging a single AI Vega over a nano

Denver_Keeper
12/02/2013, 12:45 PM
I just picked up an AI Vega and the mounting kits to go over the top of a IM Nano 24 tank.

The way the pieces of this kit fit together when the bracket is mounted to the wall behind the tank means that the Vega would run back to front on the tank instead of side to side. The hanging kit does not seem to work with the rails, and it is designed for two lights connected by the small strip anyway.

What is your suggestion for using your rail kits behind a tank with a single fixture to get the light to run left to right?

AquariumSpecialty
12/02/2013, 03:00 PM
The hanging kit (EXT) works with the EXT Rail kit as shown in this picture.

http://www.aquariumspecialty.com/aqua-illumination-ext-series-hanging-kit

Or you can hang it directly from the fixture.

Thanks,

Denver_Keeper
12/03/2013, 12:03 PM
The hanging kit (EXT) works with the EXT Rail kit as shown in this picture.

http://www.aquariumspecialty.com/aqua-illumination-ext-series-hanging-kit

Or you can hang it directly from the fixture.

Thanks,

I saw that kit, but it is designed for hanging from a ceiling, and I want to hang the light using the EXT rail kits.

I have the rails mounted up the back wall, and then coming forward over the tank. The Vega will only mount inline (parallel) with the rails though. To cover the tank in the correct direction I need the light to mount perpendicular to the rails.

So using ASCII, it currently mounts like this:
V = Vega T=Tank Lines = Rails
(side view)
|---------
| VVVVV
|
| TTTTTTT
| TTTTTTT
|
|
(Front View)
|
V
TTTTTTTTTTTTT
TTTTTTTTTTTTT
TTTTTTTTTTTTT
TTTTTTTTTTTTT

I need it to mount like this:
(Side View)
|---------
| V
|
| TTTTTTT
| TTTTTTT

(Front View)
|
VVVVV
|
TTTTTTTTTTTTT
TTTTTTTTTTTTT
TTTTTTTTTTTTT
TTTTTTTTTTTTT

AI needs an adapter that attaches along the long axis, rises above the fan, and fits into the rails like the Vega heat sink does (Or at least screws into the rails). I can DIY this easily enough, but it seems like a big miss for them to offer the cool EXT rail setup with no way to work effectively over a small tank that only needs one light.

R = Rail B= New Bracket F = Fan V=Vega
RRR
BBBBBBBBBBBBBBBB
BBB BBB
VVVVVVFFFVVVVVV
VVVVVVVVVVVVVVV

Sorry for the crude ASCII art, but it seem the best way to get my point across.

EDIT - Dang forum software takes out the spaces in the ASCII art. Hopefully the point still comes across.