PDA

View Full Version : Touch Controller

nickjj
12/03/2013, 08:02 AM
I'm a little confused about the remote access capability.
When I go to the ip address of the controller on my computer or ipad I get a brief splash page that says under construction with the new icon look and feel and then it redirects to the old Ethernet module monitoring screen. I cannot set up anything remotely. I had to set up everything on the touch screen itself. I never tried the PC interface module since I thought it would be redundant.

On the flyer that was on the AQ Facebook site regarding the presale it mentions two versions 2.5 and 3.0. The 2.5 version is on sale and it looks like the sms capability and web complete control features are not included. You can only web monitor with version 2.5. I can't believe they give no local control to set up the touch controller at all. Is version 3.0 with the ability to set up the controller locally going to cost more or is it an upgrade, kind of makes no sense.

Can someone from AQ explain what is going on?

nickjj
12/03/2013, 11:26 AM
Some pics of the controller

Bui
12/03/2013, 08:01 PM
I sure hope you could setup on the ipad. if it just for reading only, then I could just stick with my old controller. You should email and ask them.

nickjj
12/03/2013, 08:29 PM
I sure hope you could setup on the ipad. if it just for reading only, then I could just stick with my old controller. You should email and ask them.

I did send an email to AQ as well as Reef Concept who talked with the supplier and said that there will be a version 3.0 release very soon that is free. It will include the web complete control. AQ has yet to reply I guess in part from the time difference.

In any event it was a bit of work to set up on the touch screen. Make sure you name your plugs and sensors first before you create any programs since the name changes don't carry through in the programs.

I'm still trying to get the smtp email to work which is strange since I'm using the same settings from my Ethernet controller. Maybe a bug in Version 2.5.

The controller itself has improved on a number of issues the legacy one had and seems future proof at least with all the USB, SD and expansion ports etc on it.

RobbyG
12/05/2013, 01:31 PM
Wish I could help you Nick but I don't have one of the controllers so I have no idea what the problem might be.

I did get an email from Massimo and replied but have not heard back from him so I assume they are going it alone on the USA support or have not made up their minds yet what they want to do.

nickjj
12/05/2013, 02:34 PM
Thanks Robby.

I did figure out the smtp issue, well not really I used another smtp server for my gmail account. I tried three. I still think it is a security setting either SSL or TLS in their software. It does email from the controller now with alarms but I believe I need the web complete control feature in Ver 3.0 to send the regular status email like I had with the Ethernet module. Probably the reason why the Black Box version of the controller hasn't been released yet since it is useless without the web complete control software. Gees they did have a year delay........

I have sent AQ a few emails and haven't gotten any replies yet. MarineTech Innovations has been helpful but I would hope AQ would get on board with supporting us users of their new product.

The controller has been working fine with everything I had since I installed though. I'm really trying to be optimistic about the controller considering it's price tag is high but I won't pass judgement until I see the web complete control working.

nickjj
12/11/2013, 08:19 AM
I have received emails from Melissa and Massimo recently from Aquatronica regarding some of the questions I had about the controller. Massimo assured me they are working on finalizing version 3 of the software as well as improving their support services.

I've also been told that Marinetech has sold a number of these units in North America. I'd be interested to hear from these people about their experiences so far.

As it stands everything has been working properly and I'm looking forward to what will come next for this unit.

RobbyG
01/06/2014, 05:08 PM
Nice that your hearing from Massimo, I have not heard from him in about a month.
Anyway Nick let me know how it works out.

nickjj
02/27/2014, 07:55 AM
Has anyone that purchased a touch controller experienced any problems with it?

So far it has locked up one evening and twice it lost programming and the date and time when a brief power outage occurred. Each time it affected my tank until I noticed it and reset the controller. I find I have to constantly monitor it to ensure it is working properly.

Aside from some basic functionality that is missing in the touch controller like status messages which the Ethernet module had and no remote access to control the touch controller which was the reason why I bought it in the first place. Most likely why the Black Box version is delayed since it would be useless without remote access.

Aquatronica has provided little support for the product and although I think they are trying their best, I think they are way over their head in producing and developing a product like this.

One more failure like this and I am removing it from my system and replacing it with my ACQ110 controller which has worked very reliably for me over the years. I will wait to see if any updates ever happen with the touch controller before I put it back into service.

Gino555
03/01/2014, 09:39 AM
Not get any experience for now ( in process to set up fish room). Was a little problem to do it wireless. Now it's connected, but need to open port in router to set up control over web. Will let U know if something wrong.

nickjj
03/01/2014, 04:08 PM
Not get any experience for now ( in process to set up fish room). Was a little problem to do it wireless. Now it's connected, but need to open port in router to set up control over web. Will let U know if something wrong.

Don't have to worry right now about the port forwarding on your router since there is no remote control for the touch controller as of yet. The only thing you will see is the exact same screen the Ethernet module provided you with the same functionality for monitoring. You won't be able to setup or manage anything until they release the latest software. That's also why the black box controller is probably still in presale because without the ability to setup and control remotely the black box is useless.

You can access the remote monitoring on you local network by using a browser and going to the ip address of the touch controller. It's identical to the Ethernet module except for the copyright date at the bottom that says 2013. Plus the fact that the remote password login doesn't work to control plugs. I believe this legacy look of the Ethernet monitoring window will be gone once the latest remote monitoring software is released and it will look like the touch controller interface. I'm just guessing.

Gino555
03/01/2014, 11:45 PM
Today I did some wiring in my set up and controler was disconnected for 5 min. And I lost time and date. Needs re setup again. Very disappoint . Will try to send a message to Italy.

nickjj
03/02/2014, 12:02 PM
Time and date is not all that is lost from my experience in a power failure. If you are using a dosing pump the schedules will be lost as well. I found this out by accident after I noticed my parameters dropping in my tank after a few days when a brief power failure occurred.

You have to monitor this unit constantly in these situations so they don't affect our tank. Good luck with getting a timely response from Aquatronica. I have expressed my concerns with Massimo at Aquatronica and they have no firm commitment to releasing any new software to fix these and other issues. I am equally frustrated.

nickjj
03/20/2014, 11:09 AM
Just a quick update.

For now I am still using the touch controller. Only recent issue is with the dosing pump and the date on the calcium pump schedule somehow change to the year 2049. I noticed it had stopped working for a few days since I have been monitoring my levels in my jug. I don't know why or how it changed but it appears it is a start date for the next schedule dose on that pump. Other than that it has been working fine. The other pumps show proper dates.

It has been over 4 months since I received the touch controller and still no information on any software update that will provide the remote capability the unit was supposed to have. Or any bug fixes or beta software to try or anything. No new information on the AQ website or from repeated emails to service or anyone at AQ.

It would be nice if they just provided some information regularly to give us some hope. Definitely something wrong with this situation.

plapoint
05/01/2014, 05:01 PM
I am having the same lock up problems described, today it disabled my heater and temperature dropped 4 degrees celsuis, reebooted and it came up with tomorrows date,it is looking more and more like an expensive paper weight.:(

Bui
05/01/2014, 10:32 PM
I'm having problems setup my touch to be on wireless. I bought the Tp-Link TL-WN823N 300 Mbps Wi-Fi key which according to their website is suppose to be compatible but it not working. It work when I use a lan connection. I try to email tech support couple of times but haven't get an answer back in over a week.

I afraid I just waste my reef money on an expensive controller that will be no longer supported.

nickjj
06/05/2014, 11:11 PM
I have been lucky enough to get a Beta version of the updated software for the touch controller which includes the new remote control web interface. I have been running it for almost a month now and the touch controller has not locked up and the touch screen appears to be more responsive, even though it wasn't too bad originally. They still have some work to do on the web interface control but this is the very first look at what some of the areas could look like.

The web interface looks very similar to what is displayed on the touch controller itself. I've tried it on my pc and Ipad and the windows work well and I know they are working hard for a general release of this software. It appears Aquatronica has been going through a lot of change with the transition of the company ownership and they hope to be more accessible in the future.

So far I am happy that I have seen some progress and that the Touch Controller is capable of bigger and better things.

I attached some screen shots of the Beta remote web interface, It may change when a general release is done.