PDA

View Full Version : Help Aquastyleonline leds

jason2982
12/03/2013, 03:58 PM
Hi, Iīm planning to build my own canopy with this Led's Kit, but iīm not sure which one would be ok for my tank. I will get the leds from aquastyleonline (Bridgelux)
My tank is 60x24x24 (150x60x60 cm)
And iīm between the 90 kit or the 108 Kit. Iīm planning to have some sps.
And the other question is about the optics, i donīt if I go for 60 or 80 degrees.
Do you recommend to add 1 or 2 red leds?

Thanks in advance, any help will be appretiate

nanoreefer1000
12/03/2013, 06:27 PM
I would stay away from their kit.
I would look into kits from Stevesleds, Rapidled, and Led group buy

2clown
12/03/2013, 07:28 PM
I have to say go for it. I have the 108 kit on my 90 gal mixed reef. I have 3 heatsinks with 1 red per for a total of 3, 3watt reds. Go with the 6500K whites, blue, royal blue, green, uv and their actinic violet. I purchased some browned out purple bonsai, strawberry shortcake, and a milli sps and they're all coloring up nicely under these lights. Good luck.

jason2982
12/05/2013, 08:26 AM
Damn... very difficult decision.
I look on steves leds wepage... they have a retrofit kit for 54-64 tanks... looks pretty atractive bue itīs only 70 leds.. I know their leds are more efficient than the bridgelux from aquastyle.. but have my doubts, actually I will prefer the leds from steve led, but do you think 70 luxeon leds will be ok for SPS?

Regards.

FlyPenFly
12/05/2013, 08:33 AM
Go with Crees.

nanoreefer1000
12/05/2013, 04:45 PM
Luxeon, Crees, or real Bridgelux are all great, the Bridgelux's in the aquastyle are weak knockoffs.

jason2982
12/05/2013, 07:09 PM
Thanks for your replys and your advice. I will go with Steves Leds, the power saving is very important to me and I think with 70 luxeon will be equal or better than 90 from the aquastyle. I put my order today, I order the 70 leds retrofit kit with a 40 rb, 15 cool blue and 15 4000k. Thats the 14000 K configuration, have my doubts on the color, i like the blue colors so i hope this config will be all right. I dont know if the 16000 kelvin config going to be a lot of blue.
I will post my updates as long as i receive the kit.
Best regards.

zachts
12/05/2013, 07:20 PM
The aquastyle kits aren't terrible, I started with one and it's worked great for several years, the price was hard to beat (and came with everything needed to have it running over my tank after just a few hours of assembly, and a couple days for adhesive curing), just don't bother with the violets, the lenses will burn up, also get a slightly bigger kit than you think you need and just run them dimmed a bit those LEDs do best around 400mA long term but with optics that is plenty of light.

If you can handle the higher up front cost the Rapid LED or Steves LEDs kits are way better purchases and require half the number of LEDs.

On the other hand a Reef Breeders value fixture is only 40 bucks more than I paid for the 24 led dimmable aquastyle kit 3 years ago..... if you want to save money go with Reef Breeders. If you want to DIY it's up to you really.

zachts
12/05/2013, 07:26 PM
Thanks for your replys and your advice. I will go with Steves Leds, the power saving is very important to me and I think with 70 luxeon will be equal or better than 90 from the aquastyle. I put my order today, I order the 70 leds retrofit kit with a 40 rb, 15 cool blue and 15 4000k. Thats the 14000 K configuration, have my doubts on the color, i like the blue colors so i hope this config will be all right. I dont know if the 16000 kelvin config going to be a lot of blue.
I will post my updates as long as i receive the kit.
Best regards.

a day to slow on previous post.......

You'll be happy with your choice, much more powerful than the aquastyle LEDs and you will get much better overall color and dimming control from the Steve's Kit.

2clown
12/05/2013, 09:11 PM
Good luck. I look forward to the updates and pictures.

AdamDeMamp
12/05/2013, 09:16 PM
AS LEDS are fine. I grew sps with no problems. I would get the 108 kit. The dimmers kinda suck on the maxwellen drivers. If I had to do it again I'd just get d120s from evergrow and call it a day.

jason2982
12/06/2013, 08:28 AM
woow!! Reef Breeders seems to be a very good option too, I didnīt heard about that page.
I think I will spend the same on the aquastyle kit, because of the shipping, besides Steve Leds have a coupon for a free typhon on the purchase of the retrofit kit, I will go to the US in about two weeks, so I will bring back my retrofit and save on the shipping.

Regards.

criticalencore
12/06/2013, 08:32 AM
If you plan on keeping the light for a long time is go with crees because they are supposedly more efficient. Bridgelux isn't a bad led though. With a 24" deep tank I'm pretty sure you are going to want the 60° optics but I would wait for some more suggestions. How far above the water surface are the LEDs going to be?

jason2982
12/06/2013, 08:40 AM
I was thinking about 4 or 6 inches... thats the other doubt I have... I buy the kit without optics, do you recommend to buy it?

criticalencore
12/06/2013, 11:15 AM
I want to say without optics I've read they will only kight about 14" into the water but not positive on that. As close as 6" to the water you could prob get by with 80° optics on a 24" deep tank but with them that close to the water you have to worry about water splashing on them and also not much room for the light to start its spread so it may get some spotlighting. Again its just my opinion and others may have different experiences.

zachts
12/06/2013, 07:31 PM
I'm generally not a huge fan of optics for any tank less than 30" unless it's an SPS only tank in which case some optics could be used in the front or only on the royal blues.

I would just get it without optics if using the single LED stars as the Steves optics arent' all that great for those, the quality is fine, they work, but are not really optically made for the luxeon chips and don't fit all that well. They can be hard to get centered just right as compared to the type sold by RAPID LED for the luxeon chips. (if you need optics later order a box of 100 from somewhere that stocks the parts, digikey or future electrincs, it is often cheaper and gives you a wider choice if you end up needing them)

I don't think you will need optics though unless you start growing SPS at the bottom, a measly 14 (6 of which are violets, 2 blues, 2 Royal blues, and 4 assorted whites) grows LPS just fine at the bottom of a 24" tank of mine at 950mA.

Now if you use the luxeon M for all your royal blues (which is a little cheaper) definitely pick up some of the reflectors to go with them if your worried about getting light to the bottom but only use them on the royal blues. They give a softer directed light more like MH than the plastic lenses do. Incidentally the reflectors also work well on the anti disco three ups if you widen the hole at the bottom slightly with a knife or pop out the silver reflector an glue it down.

nanoreefer1000
12/06/2013, 09:44 PM
If you plan on keeping the light for a long time is go with crees because they are supposedly more efficient. Bridgelux isn't a bad led though. With a 24" deep tank I'm pretty sure you are going to want the 60° optics but I would wait for some more suggestions. How far above the water surface are the LEDs going to be? These are not Bridgelux, which are very good leds, these are downright awful knockoffs.
OP- Just get something from Steves, much better choice IMO.

byee
12/07/2013, 12:56 AM
If you plan on keeping the light for a long time is go with crees because they are supposedly more efficient. Bridgelux isn't a bad led though. With a 24" deep tank I'm pretty sure you are going to want the 60° optics but I would wait for some more suggestions. How far above the water surface are the LEDs going to be?

The cost savings between the led options will be insignificant in comparison to metal halides.

I recently purchased a 24 led kit for my sump. It's difficult to tell what's what once the devices have been soldered onto the stars. Heck, Crees provide a 75 page PDF which explains how to decipher the bin numbers.

Ray at aquastyleonline was very helpful. When i received my kit, i was surprised to see that he provided a spare led for each color ordered. Great customer service!

jason2982
12/09/2013, 11:53 AM
I want to say without optics I've read they will only kight about 14" into the water but not positive on that. As close as 6" to the water you could prob get by with 80° optics on a 24" deep tank but with them that close to the water you have to worry about water splashing on them and also not much room for the light to start its spread so it may get some spotlighting. Again its just my opinion and others may have different experiences.

I have a glass over the tank, help me to keep temperature. Do you think it could affect the penetration of the light?

In the website of stevesleds said that if you have a enclosed aquarium hoods you donīt really need the optics, so... I will go without optics and see how it works.

zachts
12/10/2013, 06:14 PM
I have a glass over the tank, help me to keep temperature. Do you think it could affect the penetration of the light?

In the website of stevesleds said that if you have a enclosed aquarium hoods you donīt really need the optics, so... I will go without optics and see how it works.

It might loose 1 or 2% but if you clean off the salt splash regularly the glass top will not have a significant impact. An acrylic top would have almost no impact on light penetration.

Even with the glass top make sure you have your LEDs separately covered with an acrylic splash guard.

If after a few months, once everything is very slowly acclimated to 100% power (if you ever get there, might not need to) then I'd start by adding optics only to the royal blues, dim things back down and re-acclimate for several weeks. Adding optics could very easily bleach corals so dim back down at least to 50% or less and see how things react after adding the optics.

jason2982
12/29/2013, 08:39 PM
Thanks for your answers, finally I got my leds in home, now... I donīt know how to distribute them on the heatsink, the kit came with two heatsinks, 50 inches each one, and the leds are:
40 Royal Blue
20 4000 K
10 Cool Blue
The manuals on steve leds suggest that it is better to put an array of leds of the same color that interlacing blue-white-blue-white, but if I do it that way, theres gonna be only one array of the cool blue leds and the distribution of the colors will be bad. (the arrays are 7 leds per array)
On the other hand the advantage of do it that way is that I can control the color temp with the Typhon and the wiring itīs much simple.
Any suggestions?

jason2982
12/29/2013, 09:04 PM
I was thinking and maybe the best option is to do 10 arrays of 7 leds each and put 4 Royal blue, 2 4,000 K and 1 Cool Blue per array. This ways the leds fit perfect but it is gonna be a mess with the wiring.

zachts
12/29/2013, 09:53 PM
I assume you have 10 drivers so here is how I would configure them for maximum control using 3 channels. (save a channel for latter addition of moonlight or another color)

Channel 1:
-driver 1: 7 RB
-driver 2: 7 RB
-driver 3: 7 RB
-driver 4: 7 RB
-driver 5: 7 RB
Channel 2:
-driver 6: 7 Whites
-driver 7: 7 Whites
-driver 8: 6 whites and 1 RB
Channel 3
-driver 9: 7 Blues
-driver 10: 3 Blues 4 RB

This is only for wiring to the drivers as you stated and as mentioned in the Steves manual group the leds as you suggest with 4 RB, 2 whites, and 1 Blue per "cluster" of leds. or just evenly distribute them in this order(RB,W,RB,B,RB,W,RB....repeat) along the two heatsinks to get even distribution of each color over the lenght of the tank. (the wiring will indeed be a little messy, but such is the way of DIY, just loop long runs around the back of the heatsink or secure with zip ties)

jason2982
01/02/2014, 12:29 PM
That is correct Zachts I have 10 drives.
The option you describe sounds great, Iīm gonna do it that way.. and as you said... such is the way of DIY, I will try to do a very clean install.

Pics soon!!

Thanks a lot.

jason2982
01/17/2014, 11:34 PM
I almost finish to put all together, I just have one last question. How much distance do you recomend me to left between the two heatsinks, every heatsink has 35 leds, the tank is 26 inches wide. I was thinking something about 6 or 7 inches and put both in the center, is that ok?

zachts
01/17/2014, 11:45 PM
I would go a little more than that with 26" tank width, 8 or 9 inches for more even coverage but 6 or 7 would be fine, which ever works out well for you mounting solution, it is not a huge difference.