PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning used poly drums

llewoh05
12/04/2013, 12:48 PM
I have the ability to get an unlimited number of 55gal poly drums from my employer. the problem is they previously contained industrial water treatment chemicals. (93.2% sulfuric acid and the other was 12.5% bleach)

is there anyway to completely remove any residue left over from the containers to a point they would be safe to use? Would the poly drums abosorb any of these chemicals and possibly release into stored DI water/saltwater? I am looking to build a large water storage/change station

Please let me know your thoughts.

billdogg
12/04/2013, 03:32 PM
I use a 55g barrel that contained photgraphic developer or fixer (it's been 25 years - can't remember which). All I did was rinse it out, scrubbed it with some baking soda, and put it to use.

The one with the bleach is really a non-issue, IMO. It will evaporate all on it's own. Rinse it and use it. Dump in a bottle of dechlor if you are worried, then use it.
The one that had acid in it can also be rinsed, maybe add some baking soda to react with the residual acid, then rinse again and use.

jm.02

Kroamium
12/05/2013, 07:17 AM
Have you made sure they are FDA approved food safe drums, that were just holding those chems. Poly drums are all not alike when manufactured, different manufatures use varying chems to make the plastic. Drums are classified several different ways on what they can store in them. Those that hold chemicals are usually the cheapest made as most don't have to be certified, of course there are exceptions with certian chems they will store.

Though diluted enough those chemicals would do no harm to humans. As those are found in most public tap water systems. Probably a debate there, but wont get into that here. So the chems they hold may do no harm to fish, but as for corals i would not go near putting water from those drums in my tank. Too much money and time invested into my systems for me to take a chance. But I guess thats a risk your going to have to take if you decide to use them.

If they are FDA approved for food storage, meaning they dont leach. then i would maybe think about using them.