PDA

View Full Version : My tank is acting weird..little advice from the experts please?

WindyCityFlyer
12/04/2013, 05:47 PM
Ive had my 12 g Long Nano tank for about 6-7 months now running strong with a closed loop filtration. You can see it if you check my profile and thread I started for more info.
I made the change from LED lighting to 4 bulb T5 about 3 months ago. Ive noticed for about the last 2 months my LPS is just not growing at all?? I have a Torch coral that has about 8 heads that were all branching and it has not opened in nearly a month or two, slowly losing heads. Now i have moved the torch to better areas thinking it was the flow or what not but can't figure it out.
The same goes for my candy cane that I've had for about 5 months. No new heads since I've had it. I feed it about once every other week. The torch i fed more frequent when open of course. Also my Frogspawn I've had for about month and a half has two heads and I'm starting to see some white bone where one head is peeling back? but the heads are open and look great.

The parameters are:

Temp 74-78 ( varies when lights go off at night )
Salinity 1.024-1.026 ( this could be variable being my nano fluctuates being so small)
Nitrates anad Nitrites 0
pH is 8.0 - 8.1

I have a feeling its the temp being somewhat low, but I don't get it. The torch did great under the LED and did about the same under the T5 but maybe light change?
Now I have a RBTA, Ric, Polyps, PomPom xenia, and some Monti cap and they are doing great. :confused:
I also think maybe my Nano Skimmer is removing all the nutrients? This is throwing me off. I will try to post some pics tomorrow of the corals but overall not sure.
Any help would be great from you guys and gals, your all the best. Thanks

WindyCityFlyer
12/04/2013, 05:50 PM
I also have these little things moving around that look like snails but no shells? Harmful? there are a bunch maybe 15 some really small some 1/4".

terrypercula
12/04/2013, 06:17 PM
A picture of those critters would help to identify. Is the only thing that changed recently your lighting?

Duvallj
12/04/2013, 06:24 PM
In my experience is that the change to led can take awhile, especially if you have to dial in for the corals to respond. I think some corals need to be shaded longer to acclimate. You might have to move/shade the lps and see if they adjust.

terrypercula
12/04/2013, 06:31 PM
In my experience is that the change to led can take awhile, especially if you have to dial in for the corals to respond. I think some corals need to be shaded longer to acclimate. You might have to move/shade the lps and see if they adjust.

He changed from them not to them though. Still I'd imagine they have to light acclimate though.

WindyCityFlyer
12/04/2013, 06:46 PM
I changed from Led to T5 now... About 3 months ago I guess it could be light, could it be too much light? I have the light about 8" above tanks with 4 ATI bulbs.

Pretty much only thing to change was light flow is the same.

Can you have too much lateral flow? I've been thinking of slowing it down. It's not super strong but decent.

Also if it is acclimate to light how do I save these corals?

terrypercula
12/04/2013, 06:53 PM
It is possible to have too much flow IMO. Corals can be stressed by constantly getting blasted by water. But 4 ati bulbs shouldn't be too much light, especially 8" above water. I run 6 ati bulbs over a frag tank and everything is fine. But is anything dying? Or just not growing and thriving the way you'd like?

terrypercula
12/04/2013, 06:54 PM
Depending on the tank size and the previous light they might actually be craving more light.

WindyCityFlyer
12/04/2013, 06:57 PM
A little of both but when I post pics of the corals you can say... The torch looks like its dieing for sure.. I'm afraid for the frogspawn as if it's falling in line, it looks good and opens but the stem is peeling back a bit. By this weekend I'm going to install valves to slow the flow a bit..

WindyCityFlyer
12/04/2013, 07:06 PM
The led light was weak only about 18 LEDs 1 watt... Now I have two actinic plus one purple plus and 1 blue plus in my T5 setup... I do not have a aquablue bulbs and that's the whites bulb, so maybe that's the problem?

terrypercula
12/04/2013, 07:07 PM
That could be too much flow blowing the flesh off or alk and calcium levels out of wack or even a predator or bacteria.

WindyCityFlyer
12/04/2013, 07:09 PM
I just bought calcium to start small dosing to see if it helps but I can't test for it so I have to get a test kit.

WindyCityFlyer
12/04/2013, 07:10 PM
The flow isn't that strong and the corals not that close to the flow as well but I think it could be irritating it

terrypercula
12/04/2013, 07:13 PM
Well see if a LFS will test ALK and Calcium for you. If those levels are fine it might be worth dipping the corals in question in case it is bacterial.

WindyCityFlyer
12/04/2013, 07:23 PM
Il try that as well as I'm due for bulbs so I will try a differnt set of bulbs from ati and get the whitest bulb aquablue it is and see if that can help. Thanks a lot

WindyCityFlyer
12/04/2013, 07:23 PM
Il post pics tomorrow for the corals and the snail like things moving around

WindyCityFlyer
12/07/2013, 03:14 PM
http://i1154.photobucket.com/albums/p524/Frenchy911/DSC_1541.jpg (http://s1154.photobucket.com/user/Frenchy911/media/DSC_1541.jpg.html)

This is my Torch , still don't know if its the new lights as of August or Maybe pest or these little snails that bother it??

I looked up the hitchhiker critters and they are harmless, forget the name but I ID'd them. Maybe they are irritating my corals though.

WindyCityFlyer
12/08/2013, 09:58 AM
Any advice guys and gals?

terrypercula
12/08/2013, 10:14 AM
Maybe to high of flow in that area? Did you get your water tested?

WindyCityFlyer
12/08/2013, 12:32 PM
No I haven't yet closest store is a hour away..