PDA

View Full Version : Kalkwasser ATO and apex

jdamon
12/05/2013, 10:46 AM
I would like to have my apex control a dosing pump that SLOWLY drips kalkwasser into my sump (over an extended period of time). I've read a bunch and I think I understand how to make this happen, but I would like to run it by the forum to see if I have it correct. I need to buy an ATO ( a liter meter three in my case as it will be one floor below, and peristaltic is the way to go for slow addition.). Then I set the LM3 to my evaporation rate and then have a float switch that will shut it off via apex in case the water level is too high? Or, will the apex be able to run the whole thing via a generic peristaltic pump and two float switches that are set very close together? I think the first option is the only way, but please correct me if I am wrong, thanks!

jdamon
12/05/2013, 10:57 AM
Just disovered the Avast ATO, I think that is the solution I am looking for... One more question though, Will adding a quarter inch to the sump (of kalkwasser) be too much? I.e. raise the pH too quickly?

seanb
12/05/2013, 03:36 PM
I think it would depend on your overall volume and how much a quarter inch is. The best thing is to program the apex to shut it off if the pH goes too high.

mr9iron
12/22/2013, 06:01 PM
Would a program like this do well adding Kalk to the sump? I am using the Avast Pressure switch and an Aqualifter as well.

Fallback OFF
Set OFF
If Time 08:00 to 08:03 Then ON
If Time 12:00 to 12:03 Then ON
If Time 13:00 to 13:03 Then ON
If Time 14:00 to 14:03 Then ON
If Time 15:00 to 15:03 Then ON
If Time 16:00 to 16:03 Then ON
If Time 17:00 to 17:03 Then ON
If Time 18:00 to 18:03 Then ON
IF Time 21:00 to 21:03 Then ON
If Time 22:00 to 22:03 Then ON
If time 23:00 to 23:03 Then ON
If Time 00:00 to 00:03 Then ON
If Time 03:00 to 03:03 Then ON
If Time 05:00 to 05:05 Then ON
If FeedA 005 Then OFF

Spyderturbo007
12/22/2013, 06:37 PM
Why not just adjust the amount of Kalk added to the ATO so that you keep your parameters where you want and leave the ATO to do its job as intended?

For example, start by adding 1/4tsp / 1g to your ATO and monitor your parameters, if your Calcium and Alkalinity start to drop, increase your dose to 1/2tsp / 1g.

mr9iron
12/22/2013, 06:57 PM
Well, I never thought about that. I was also hoping to add less kalk more often to aid with ph spikes. I also thought might benefit the tank by replenishing calcium throughout the www nature day.

Spyderturbo007
12/22/2013, 07:22 PM
How sensitive is your ATO? I run the Aqualifter with a generic float switch and never see a pH spike, but then again my Kalk demand is quite low.

Mark Bianco
12/22/2013, 07:33 PM
Assuming by the way the code you wrote you want the outlet to be on 3 minutes every so often or a total of 42 minutes over certain times. It may be easier and have less spikes to just dose a smaller amount of time once an hour over the 24 hours.

Fallback OFF
OSC 000:00/001:45/058:15 Then ON
If FeedA 005 Then OFF

This code would turn on the dosing pump for 1 minutes and 45 seconds every hour
You can adjust the times by whatever you want the syntax for OSC is OFF/ON/OFF

mr9iron
12/22/2013, 10:26 PM
Assuming by the way the code you wrote you want the outlet to be on 3 minutes every so often or a total of 42 minutes over certain times. It may be easier and have less spikes to just dose a smaller amount of time once an hour over the 24 hours.

Fallback OFF
OSC 000:00/001:45/058:15 Then ON
If FeedA 005 Then OFF

This code would turn on the dosing pump for 1 minutes and 45 seconds every hour
You can adjust the times by whatever you want the syntax for OSC is OFF/ON/OFF
Thank you so much for that!!! :thumbsup:

jdamon
12/28/2013, 11:09 PM
Thank you for the program help! This was essentially my question, can the apex control a peristaltic pump like a litermeter3, and or is it better to have a more sensitive float switch.

I found the litermeter basic ATO, and that seems to be exactly what I wanted originally. Controllable via apex, redundancy in the "high level" float switch. I just have to calibrate the liter meter pump for my head volume and them tell the apex how often to turn on. Only hesitation is " high level" float switch is 1" precise, meaning level would have to rise an inch before turning off pump. Ideally I would like it to be more precise. My understanding is that ultra precise top off by spectra pure is similar to basic, but has better float switches and a stand alone programmable pump. I wonder if I can get all the precise switches and the basic pump, as I already have the apex? That would be perfect, then I could just program the apex for approximate evaporation rate, and have the ultra precise float switches as back up. Time to talk to spectra pure.

Mark Bianco
12/28/2013, 11:41 PM
I have both the Littermeterlll and the Apex the only thing the Apex can do is turn or off the unit itself not the pumps I use mine for automatic water changes. You can buy a precise float and hook that up to the Apex BOB and run a small pump like a Toms aqua lifter pump for an ATO my threshold for my float switch is 1/2" My understanding the Spectra Pure pump as well as the Littermeter pump are 10vdc pumps. The only other way to use a 10vdc would be to buy a power converter 120vac to 10vdc.

Mark

montrealreef
12/29/2013, 09:17 AM
I have been dosing kalk for 8 years... I initially started with Tom's aqua lifter , aquacontroller jr and a float switch.... While that set up worked, I ended up dosing more kalk than i needed and my alk was 12 -13... I switched to a more precise setup and that has allowed me to control my parameters much better.

My current set up is Apex Lite, PM kalk reactor, a dosing pump from BRS that delivers 50 ml per minute, and a Tunze osmolator for automated top up. With this set up, I can control how muck kalk I want to dose precisely and then let the osmolator take care of the rest of the top up.

This is my apex program:

Fallback OFF
OSC 000:00/000:30/009:30 Then ON
If pH > 08.30 Then OFF
If Outlet Sump_High = ON Then OFF
If FeedD 000 Then OFF

This will turn on the BRS doser for 30 seconds out of each 10 minutes (i.e. will dose 25 ml each 10 min throughout the day). The outlet "Sump_High" is a virtual outlet that goes on if a float switch in my sump is activated (This is a failsafe only in case my auto top should ever malfunction. I do not want my apartment to flood. I do not use this float switch to control top up. It is a located above the level of the water where it is less likely to get affected by salt/ algae, etc...

I also turn off the kalk dosing if pH is > 8.3 and during Feed D cycles which I use for water changes.

I do not have Ph swings and I can easily increase or decrease the amount of kalk I am dosing based on my tank's requirements.

Another piece of advice, make sure you drip your kalk in a high flow area away from pumps and skimmers to prevent calcium from precipitating on impellers and shafts which can damage pumps and/or require frequent cleaning and maintenance.

Hope this makes sense.

Cheers

Sam

jdamon
12/29/2013, 09:39 AM
Sam,

Thanks for the reply! I see the advantage if your set up, but at 15ml every 10 minutes you must be close to the evaporation rate, yes? Adjusting the amount of kalkwasser in the top off container is more if a pain, but I would like to have less stuff.

Relativity
01/30/2017, 01:38 PM
What code do I have to run to get it to turn on
It won't turn on

Relativity
01/30/2017, 01:40 PM
here my code
Fallback OFF
If pH > 8.30 Then OFF

what do I have to write for it to turn on

Relativity
01/30/2017, 01:41 PM
Oh set ON

Relativity
01/30/2017, 01:42 PM
How do I start feed mode in apex

JustinFromAL
01/31/2017, 07:51 AM
Click one of the feed mode buttons in Fusion, or press UP on your display, if you have one.

bif24701
01/31/2017, 08:20 AM
I use a BRS 50ml/min pump for my Kalk. Via APEX it is programmed to run 4min every 1/2 hour. This supplies the perfect amount of top off/Kalk for my system. I have never had any problems with this method, evaporation rated don't change much and having a fixed program prevents all the problems people have had with using Kalk. I never get low/high ALK because not enough was added or too much. Keeps my system perfectly stable. I see no real advantage to using switches. You can get a rough idea of your rate of evaporation and program accordingly, if you see it's too much or little just make an adjustment to your program. Easy, done.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk