PDA

View Full Version : Best RODI Unit

mluntz
12/06/2013, 12:09 PM
Doing my Christmas list and was wondering what you guys think is the best RODI unit. Thanks for the opinions.

sirreal63
12/06/2013, 12:25 PM
http://www.spectrapure.com/

rocsec1
12/06/2013, 02:14 PM
BRS has some great units.

royvoss
12/06/2013, 02:28 PM
spectrapure uhe

bugee_d
12/06/2013, 02:29 PM
Do not buy spectrapure to unit they do not stand behind their products. I purchased a new 5 stage unit from marine depot and the first two canisters leaked from day one. Customer support advised me to put vaseline on the o ring. Needless to say that only slowed down the leak.

bugee_d
12/06/2013, 02:37 PM
Go with BRS unit the dual carbon Block will extend the life of your RO membrane

Dapg8gt
12/06/2013, 02:39 PM
I vote spectrapure also.. I love mine never had any issues..

heritage
12/06/2013, 02:49 PM
Happy with my spectrapure.

bugee_d
12/06/2013, 03:33 PM
Also the spectrapure unit does no come with a auto shut off valve. I had to purchase and install that sperate.

Kyuss
12/06/2013, 03:46 PM
Buckeye Field Supply is worth a look as well. Russ from BFS is very active on these forums, always answering questions. I'd wager their customer service is second to none.

slief
12/06/2013, 03:51 PM
In my opinion, the SpectraPure units are the best. Especially their UHE units. I have the Spectrapure 100GPD UHE unit. It creates one gallon of RODI to one gallon of waste water but it was not cheap. It came with all the float switches to make it turn on and off automatically as well. It's a great unit and even with my 500TDS tap water, I get nearly 1000 gallons between cartridge changes. Their support is also second to none.

Holyreefer
12/06/2013, 04:22 PM
I've only used BRS.
I can say I always have issues with changing out the damn filters & ensuring its tightness for leaks. But the product works very well. A great example of this last night I tried to switch out my filters cuz they were reading 4ppm I could get the filter covers off but putting them back on...I'll probably have to purchase another unit (yes I have the wrench as well)
So BRS does work just a little frustrating dealing with the filter cartridge

Buckeye Hydro
12/07/2013, 04:59 AM
mluntz - here are a few things you'll want to look for:

*No more than 4 stages (sediment, carbon block, RO, DI) unless you have specific water quality issues you want to address
*Standard-sized prefilters, membrane, and DI cartridge
*Brand name, high-rejection membrane
*Specifications provided for each stage
*Pressure gauge after the prefilters and before the membrane
*TDS meter (handheld or in-line)
*Vertical DI stage
*Refillable DI cartridge
*Rust-proof bracket
*Quick connect fittings
*No water from pressurized storage container delivered to DI
*Flush valve
*Clear housings
*High-quality instructions written in clear English
*Customer support before, during, and after your purchase
*A vendor involved in your hobby

Russ

Buckeye Hydro
12/07/2013, 05:05 AM
All of the vendors listed above are reputable - you'll get good service and they cater to customers in this hobby. Some focus to a greater or lesser extent on water treatment/RODI issues, and the pricing among the venders will vary significantly. Each offers a variety of systems - so I'd spend some time thinking about which system (not which vender) best suits your particular application, or you may even want a custom system. Not sure what you want/need? Be happy to talk you through the thought process there.

Russ
513-312-2343

Buckeye Hydro
12/07/2013, 05:13 AM
I could get the filter covers off but putting them back on...I'll probably have to purchase another unit (yes I have the wrench as well)

What trouble did you have? Getting them tight enough to stop leaking?

If so, remember that you should really not need to use the wrench to tighten the housing. The seal happens at the oring - not at the threads.

If you have leaks at a housing, remember hand tight only, and maybe just a little tweak (~1/8 of a turn) with the wrench if necessary

Remove, clean, lube (food-grade silicone grease) and reinstall the housing oring w/ each filter change.

If they leak, try flipping the oring over. If it still leaks, replace the oring.

If you use brute force to try to get the housing to seal, when you least expect it, you may find this (this is one of our competitor's housings):
http://i224.photobucket.com/albums/dd293/BuckeyeFS/housingbrokeatthreads_zpsd54a5e8d.jpg (http://s224.photobucket.com/user/BuckeyeFS/media/housingbrokeatthreads_zpsd54a5e8d.jpg.html)

Russ

h0bite
12/07/2013, 09:26 AM
Spectrapure here !

shifty51008
12/07/2013, 10:03 AM
buckeyefieldsupply, if you haven't noticed they have great CS and great units

SABOB
12/07/2013, 10:19 AM
+1 for Buckeye .....have had a 100 gpd unit for years, Russ is awesome

Bpb
12/07/2013, 10:53 AM
Buy whatever unit you want. But make sure to fill it with 0.5 micron sediment and carbon blocks, and use a spectra pure lab tested membrane. It's worth the extra cost. Mine still gets 99.8% rejection rate at 4:1 even after 3 years!

Holyreefer
12/07/2013, 10:54 AM
What trouble did you have? Getting them tight enough to stop leaking?

If so, remember that you should really not need to use the wrench to tighten the housing. The seal happens at the oring - not at the threads.

If you have leaks at a housing, remember hand tight only, and maybe just a little tweak (~1/8 of a turn) with the wrench if necessary

Remove, clean, lube (food-grade silicone grease) and reinstall the housing oring w/ each filter change.

If they leak, try flipping the oring over. If it still leaks, replace the oring.

If you use brute force to try to get the housing to seal, when you least expect it, you may find this (this is one of our competitor's housings):
http://i224.photobucket.com/albums/dd293/BuckeyeFS/housingbrokeatthreads_zpsd54a5e8d.jpg (http://s224.photobucket.com/user/BuckeyeFS/media/housingbrokeatthreads_zpsd54a5e8d.jpg.html)

Russ

I ended up putting vasoline on the threads and t went on like new

SpectraPure
12/10/2013, 02:14 PM
Also the spectrapure unit does no come with a auto shut off valve. I had to purchase and install that sperate.

Hi there, did you purchase one of our older or refurbished units? I ask because all of our maxcap-mf and cspdi-mf systems come with flush kits and auto shut off built-in.

Shane,
SpectraPure, Inc.

SpectraPure
12/10/2013, 04:26 PM
Hello-
Sorry for your poor experience. I could not find a post on your problem in our forum, or an email in our tech support file saying you still have a problem or you are not satisfied and want more help.
Also, Marine Depot has a 90 day no questions asked return policy which had you returned your unit to them, I would then have received it back from them requesting analysis of the problem encountered, and what we were doing to prevent future recurrence (part of the quality system we employ).
If our technical assistance was still unsatisfactory, please contact us. I would not expect you to "live with" a system not performing properly.

We actually pride ourselves on support after the sale. It would seem from your post that we failed you in some way. I only became aware of this thread here today. If you still have any problems with your unit, just call our tech service and we will try to help you. That's our goal.
Or, send me a private email here with instructions on how to reach you and I will follow up with you myself. We have been in business since 1985 and have always tried to do the right thing for our customers. Hopefully I can help you at this point.
bruce

.Do not buy spectrapure to unit they do not stand behind their products. I purchased a new 5 stage unit from marine depot and the first two canisters leaked from day one. Customer support advised me to put vaseline on the o ring. Needless to say that only slowed down the leak.

bugee_d
12/15/2013, 09:47 AM
Hello-
Sorry for your poor experience. I could not find a post on your problem in our forum, or an email in our tech support file saying you still have a problem or you are not satisfied and want more help.
Also, Marine Depot has a 90 day no questions asked return policy which had you returned your unit to them, I would then have received it back from them requesting analysis of the problem encountered, and what we were doing to prevent future recurrence (part of the quality system we employ).
If our technical assistance was still unsatisfactory, please contact us. I would not expect you to "live with" a system not performing properly.

We actually pride ourselves on support after the sale. It would seem from your post that we failed you in some way. I only became aware of this thread here today. If you still have any problems with your unit, just call our tech service and we will try to help you. That's our goal.
Or, send me a private email here with instructions on how to reach you and I will follow up with you myself. We have been in business since 1985 and have always tried to do the right thing for our customers. Hopefully I can help you at this point.
bruce

I will call on Tuesday to speak with you Bruce

h.cordero
12/15/2013, 10:55 AM
in my opinion, the spectrapure units are the best. Especially their uhe units. I have the spectrapure 100gpd uhe unit. It creates one gallon of rodi to one gallon of waste water but it was not cheap. It came with all the float switches to make it turn on and off automatically as well. It's a great unit and even with my 500tds tap water, i get nearly 1000 gallons between cartridge changes. Their support is also second to none.

+1

Buckeye Hydro
12/15/2013, 10:59 AM
I ended up putting vasoline on the threads and t went on like new

On the threads? Not sure why that would have been needed. You'll want to keep the vasoline away from the orings. Lube them with a silicone grease instead.

Russ

moondoggy4
12/15/2013, 11:40 AM
All the sponsors here have a good track record you only have to look, they have cheap units and very expensive ones also, something for everyone. Replacement parts and C/S is vital also.

michaellee64
12/15/2013, 03:35 PM
Spectrapure FTW!

Meanstreet5150
12/15/2013, 04:27 PM
Spectrapure Maxcap 90gpd FTW.

screamingibis
12/15/2013, 08:24 PM
spectrapure dual membane 180 gpd. just got it on sale at premium aquatics. things a beast.

phillrodrigo
12/15/2013, 08:42 PM
Ive had the spectrapure refurb for a year and have only replaced the first 2 filter. So in a year I have spent 12$ which you do with every rodi replace the carbon and sediment every 6 months
And thats there bottom of the barrel unit I dont think they have.one cheaper. I use a good amount of water also.

C-21 USAF
12/15/2013, 11:20 PM
Haven't found anything that can comes close to the Dual home/reef unit from airwaterice.com Bought mine in '03 and its still going strong...did I mention their pricing and customer service are great?!

My family, ice machine and reef are all supplied with one unit...